THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 & two 3-9 power scopes (What to do?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, I've got a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope that I had on my 338 winmag. I then bought a Ziess 3-9x40 with the rapid-z600 recticle for the 338.

I decided to sell all my guns except the 45-70, which I would probably only get $150-$200 for, to pay some bills.

Do you think either of the 3-9 power scopes could be used on my 45-70 buffalo classic?

I actually used the rapid z calculator on the Zeiss website with factory 300 gr 45-70 data and was able to site in at 100 yards for the first line, then:
2nd line = 152 yards
3rd line = 200 yards
4th line = 251 yards
5th line = 300 yards
with it zoomed at 7.31

given the info I've provided, witch of the two would you use on the 45-70?

would you not even bother with either of them on a 45-70?

I'm guessing the 338 I sell would be worth more with the Zeiss scope on it.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd keep the 338. A 45/70 is too limiting and neither of those scopes seem appropriate to the uses one would put a 45/70 to.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
A slightly different reply to your question. I've found that selling the scope and rifle separately usually gets you more money.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A slightly different reply to your question. I've found that selling the scope and rifle separately usually gets you more money.

A lot more money.

Resale on either scope will be good, but the Zeiss is worth considerably while the Prostaff is a very useable scope. So maybe the questions is how much $$$ do you need.

I might keep the .338 also.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the few places I've sold rifles to don't buy scopes unless they come on the firearm, I'll check around more though. If I don't sell the 338, then I might as well not sell any of my guns because that's the one I'd probably get the most for. I was counting on it and the BFR revolver to be the main money makers
+ I might still sell the buffalo classic with the rest to buy a cheap budget rifle in 270 win for around $300.
Besides, selling the 338 would give me an excuse to get a 375 later. and I would enjoy shooting the 270 or 45-70 more.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the few places I've sold rifles to don't buy scopes unless they come on the firearm

Dealers much prefer they be on the rifle. But I've had good success selling a scope off a rifle that I've bought to put on it what I want while getting some dollars for something I don't need.

This is typically the case, though, with better less expensive scopes and mid price scopes. A Kahles will get taken off the rifle and sold separately; a Simmons gets left on the rifle not affecting its price much, if at all, and nobody wants it off the scope. An older VXII can be taken off the rifle and sold for more than it would bring left on the rifle.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the zeiss off of the 338 and sell it seperately. There are quite a few places you can sell high end scopes starting with the classifieds here. Many other hunting websites have classifieds also, and Ebay is an option. If you leave it on the rifle and sell them together you'll likely get ripped off, most dealers are going to consider a scope as a bonus and are going to give you pennies on the dollar of what the zeiss is worth. Sell them seperately and you'll come out a lot better. The nikon won't really bring you anything so if you're looking to make the max money on the deal then keep the nikon and sell the zeiss.

Here in Mississippi we're allowed to use the buffalo classic 45-70 in our primitive weapons season, they changed the law from muzzleloaders only a couple of years ago. I've got one with a weaver V9 3x9 on it. I can assure you that a 3x9 works just fine on a 45-70, I've killed several deer with it. The 45-70's only real hinderance is a lack of spitzer bullets for it. I'm pretty much forced to use the hornady leverevolution ammunition in it to get a spitzer. I may start handloading for it this year but component spitzers are hard to come by also. The only choice seems to be the barnes original 300 grainers and they're ridiculously high at around $50 for a box of 50. Still, I may do it because I prefer to load my own ammo. With a decent spitzer the 45-70 is easily capable of 225-250 yds which covers about 98% of anything I'll ever shoot at around here. The 45-70 is a lot more capable than many make it out to be, it's no slouch. I don't feel a bit handicapped when "primitive weapons" season comes and I have to put down my 30-06 for the 45-70.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would keep the Zeiss for the 45-70.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I have a Buffalo Classic.

I learned a valuable lesson about the relationship between the Buffalo Classic and proper eye relief, the hard way.

Whatever scope has the most eye relief is the one to keep.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, I think they are both similar eye relief, but my buffalo classic has 2 of those mercury tube in it that take the bite out of it.
I went and got a quote at cabelas
They said they'd give me $400 for the 338, $200 for the buffalo classic, and $500 for the BFR revolver. I said I would think about it and get back to them.
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
I have a Buffalo Classic.

I learned a valuable lesson about the relationship between the Buffalo Classic and proper eye relief, the hard way.

Whatever scope has the most eye relief is the one to keep.