Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-3I Vs VX-2
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
My Kahles 3-9x42 had both the elevation and windage turrets lock up. It is still on zero, but I don't trust it. I want to replace it now (our deer season opened on 10/21 and runs until December) while I send it in for service.

I have always been a fan of the VX-2 series and have owned a couple of VX-2 3-9x40s. I'm taking a serious look at the VX-3I in 3.5-10x40. Is the $100 price difference & 1 1/2 oz weight gain worth it?

Is there a significant advantage in low light performance and resistance to (image) glare when facing the sun?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally think the Leupold VX3i is worth the extra money. But since Leupold is closing out the VX-2, you might get a better deal. I am not sure what they are replacing the VX2 with but don't think it will be anything different with the glass, just maybe cosmetically.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear your Kahles turrets have seized. My Helia Super 27 has always been a pain in the butt to turn the knobs but they have not stopped, partly because I turn them every year or two, whether they need it or not.

I have noticed some old Swarovski and S&B scopes made 40+ years ago seize up, probably because they were so reliable their owners in damp climates did not need to touch the knobs for decades.

That said, if your scope is one of the old reticle-movement ones and is still zeroed, I would trust it further than any image-movement scope ever made.

I would perhaps buy the VX3, because of its beryllium-alloy springs, get rings to fit and put the scope and mounts in your gun case; bore sight your zeroed Kahles at some measured distance and draw a careful graphic of where the scope looks in relation to the bore. Put the drawing under the foam in your gun case; in the event of the Kahles getting knocked out of alignment, take it off and put the Leupold on to bore sight to the same point. With luck the differing masses of the scopes will not stop the new scope shooting close to the same zero.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care for the oversized knob on the power ring of the VX-3i, particularly due to its SHARP edges. Whoever at Leupold came up with that design never used a scope, or at least never tried changing power. And yes, I own one and am speaking from experience, not just speculating.

The VX-II is and has been an excellent scope. Of course, it's not really worth the extra $$ over the excellent VX-I, but is still a bargain in the hunting scope world.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of variX11 and even earlier scopes on my rifles..they work for me and have for years on some..I'll buy one at a gun shop, pawn shop or gun show for $100 to 125. and get a lifetime of use out of it...and Leupold fixes them if needed, no matter what and never at any cost so far.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote