Find
Notify
Tools

Warne ring set
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Warne ring set good or bad?

Looks like they have a few that think they are good.
Need to mount tall rings on one of my .243 Mauser

Are they hard to mount? Do I need three hands to keep in place till bolted down?

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loiblb:
Warne ring set good or bad?

Are they hard to mount? Do I need three hands to keep in place till bolted down?

Yes, and that's why the design is bad. Go with Leupold dual dovetails...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of them, with the vertical split like Talleys, but they cost less than 1/2 what Talleys do, and I find them easier to mount as well.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Warne's are excellent rings. I have used a bunch of them. Never moved, and never put a mark on a scope. They are very easy to set up.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Very satisfied with the Warne mounts (Picatinny) I use on my tactical rifle.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

I am a stickler for both precision and the best value for the dollar. Therefore, I primarily use Warne rings and have nothing but praise for them. And, contrary to what one poster said, the rings – while perhaps taking a slight adjustment in getting used to -- are absolutely simple to install and are utterly reliable.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rings. Easy to install, VERY strong, reliable design that is very robust/durable, economical, look good, multiple heights to choose from. My go to. you would have to step up to a tactical ring to find something stronger and they are probably as strong as most tactical mounts.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been with QR type, mostly on Ruger's. I really like them. They are solid, and when I take them off on put them back on, the rifle is still on. The only real negative that I see are that they are heavy. They are a bit more complicated to put on than horizontally split rings, but it ain't rocket science. Even I can do it.
Bfly

edit: I have a bad habit of carrying my rifle by the scope when I'm deer hunting. With QD rings, this can lead to disaster (I have experience at this). I have never had Warne QD rings come loose when I do this. While it's not something a hunter should do, it is something that I do. I have some bad habits, and this one puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the scope mounting system and the scope. I can't say the same thing for some of the other QD rings.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Warne rings the best of any of the Weaver style and probably have about 60 sets of them currently in use. I like the fixed style, better than the QR style, because of the design of the recoil lug.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from my Sako rifles, all my other ones wear Warne bases and rings.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have standardized to Warne rings for all my rifles. I use QD for my Encore/Contender barrels as it allows me to use fewer scopes but PA rings for the rest.
I recommend them without reservation.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
I use QD for my Encore/Contender barrels as it allows me to use fewer scopes

Same here.

In addition, I use the permanent Warne rings on a 378 Weatherby.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote