New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Rangefinder for under $250.00
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an older Bushnell that is worthless on deer/antelope when they are past 200 yds or so.

Without breaking the bank, what would be a good compact rangefinder that reliably picks up deer at 350-400 yds?

Thanks.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy with my Vortex Ranger 1000. It runs about $300 most places.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also am using a vortex 1000, got mine on sale at Sportsmans Whse. for $209. on sale..

I would love to have a set of Nikon binoculars at $1100 that includes the range finder that requires the push of a button...Really not that expensive if you consider the cost of a set of Binocs and a separate range finder so it would seem to balance out pretty close???

I have read some complaints about the range finding element wearing out before the binocs, but the Nikon rep tells me they have a life time guarantee..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a peek at the Hawke 900, member price under $200.00. I think you'll love it.
Please give us a call to discuss it

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I had one branded Remington a few years ago, which cost about your limit. I haven't compared too much else but it seemed to work all right - until I lost it when my daypack rolled off a ledge and down several shingle slides, never to be seen again.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I also am using a vortex 1000, got mine on sale at Sportsmans Whse. for $209. on sale..

I would love to have a set of Nikon binoculars at $1100 that includes the range finder that requires the push of a button...Really not that expensive if you consider the cost of a set of Binocs and a separate range finder so it would seem to balance out pretty close???

I have read some complaints about the range finding element wearing out before the binocs, but the Nikon rep tells me they have a life time guarantee..

Lifetime warranty is on the binocular, not the electronics. That one is two years.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I am now consider a Sig Sauer 1250 which (according to reviews) should be good to about 600 yds for deer. That is about 200 yds farther than I would ever shoot at game.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I saw Cabela's has a Bushnell model on sale for Black Friday for $89. Goes to 600 or 800 yards.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wound up buying the Sig 1250 for $179.99 (Thornton, CO Cablelas had 6 of them priced for a one day sale).

It says its good for deer out to 750 yards, so it should work fine for me.

Thanks for all the advice/recommendations.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why Im concerned, I never have time to use my range finder where I hunt Mule deer and elk..I could at the Texas ranch but Its 100 yards from my stand to the feeder, homer

I see a lot of folks hung up on tech stuff the range finder being no. 1...I can't count the number of animals Ive shot while a buddy was messing with his range finder...I believe a range finder is a gadget up to 400 yards if your rifle is sighted in properly, The range finder comes into its own at 600 yards and beyond, and I don't shoot at those ranges very often..I think I just thought I needed one, so I bought the Vortex 1000..I do believe it helps if one has not hunted enough to judge range, and many folks can't judge range worth a flip, and they need a range finder if for no other reason than to learn to judge ranges..

Just speaking for myself and if a range finder helps one then by all means its his cup of tea.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote