New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Target Spot scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy of mine gave me a Lyman TargetSpot scope. I've check various web sites without luck. There is no serial number on the scope and no indication as to the power of the scope. I saw various pictures where the power marking was on the ocular locking ring, but nothing there. The scope has very good optics, no scratches and has the mount on the tube. He also gave me and Springfield 03A3 barrel however the blocks barrel, odd. I've always thought they were, one on the forward receiver ring and the other on the barrel. Any ideas other than taking a variable scope and check the power by comparison. I know there are Super TargetSpot scopes but have never seen a TargetSpot, is the TargetSpot a .22 only scope?

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
According to Nick Stroebel the plain TargetSpot came in 8x and 10x and was made between 1935 and 1948. The outward dimensions seem to have been the same for both.

You might work out the power by measuring the objective lens, then point it towards a bright sky (or maybe a light, not too close?) shine the bead of light emitted from the ocular lens squarely on a flat piece of paper; move it back and forth until this exit pupil focuses about two inches from the rear lens and measure its width.

Divide the objective diameter (about 29mm?) by the width of that focused pupil and the result should give you the power - assuming the scope is focused for 20/20 vision.

I would guess that if the exit pupil is 2.9mm across it would be a 10x scope; if 3.6mm, an 8x.

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got another scope of 8 or 10 power -p compare them. power factor should be located on the focus nut

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I'm going to give it a try and I'll let you know what I come up with. Again thank you.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote