Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted
New to optics and trying to learn about different scope options.

I am looking to buy a 4-16 x44 or 50 power. I have seen some models that have a target elevation turret and also a BDC reticle. What is the point of having both? It is my assumption that if you have the target turret you would just use it to dial up or down. Why would you also have a BDC reticle for holding over?

Brand question: comparing a couple of used scopes:

One is a Nikon Monarch X 4-16 x50. Retails for $1400.

The other is a Vortex Viper HS 4-16 x50 LR. Retails for $699.

I can get the Nikon for $630. Compared to the Vortex, is this a good buy?

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
anybody out there? 50 views and no responses!?

posted Hide Post
I cannot tell you why one would want a BDC and a target turret, but I would ALWAYS get a Japan-made Nikon Monarch instead of the Chinese-made Vortex.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
Thanks George. I appreciate the reply.

posted Hide Post
You're welcome. Let us know how it turns out.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I own a few Nikon's and they are great scopes and one made the trip to Africa this past April.
But the new ones with the BDC reticle has what I think is an unnecessarily large occular bell. Depending on the rifle, it may require you to get a higher set of rings just to clear the bolt handle.

I just bought two Bushnell Elite scopes. a 3200 and a 4200 both 3x9x40 they are both rated according to Bushnell, to take 10,000 shots on a 375 H&H. (Plus I find them quite clear)

I'm planning on putting them on my Rem 7mm mag and my 300 Weatherby mag. Not sure which is going on which yet.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Im not sure, but I suspect seeing that Nikon Monarch scopes are now $1,400 at retail has a bunch of otherwise potential responders floating out there somewhere in the ether of the "Sticker-Shock" planet.

I know that's where it put me!

I bought my last Nikon Monarch new for under $300. Of course that was 10 years ago, but still...

Anyway, I would be sure it is a scope model still actually made in Japan, not just marketed from there. Since about year 2000 at least some Monarchs have supposedly been made in Korea and some in the Phillipines, which is why I haven't bought one in 10 years.

And though lots of folks have seemed to have had good luck with Vortex, my experience with PRC-made goods of all kinds is that their quality control is so spotty, one never can count on what he will be getting, stupendously good, or horribly bad, or something in between.

I think I would stick with Leupold. At least their warranty is as good as gold, and you can converse with them by phone, in the American version of English, right at the plant, and I have never caught them lying to me.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dpollard--The way you phrased your question makes me wonder if there is some confusion? You mentioned a 4-16x44 or 50 power. The 4-16 is the power. The 44 or 50 is the size of the front lens (objective). Yes a bigger objective lens can allow more light--to a degree but not always. A ratio of the power to the size of the objective lens give exit diameter. For example if you had a 44mm front on 16 power you would have 2.75 exit(not good) on 4 power it would be an 11mm exit( overkill). Once the exit matches your pupil size an increase does no more. As you get older your pupil gets smaller--thats why a youngster goes into a dark theater and immediately can spot their friends while an older person is still trying to see the floor. Having said all that Get a Leupold 4-12 by 40 and from about 7 power down you'll get all the light you'll get from a bigger objective lens. Leupold stands behind their stuff.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would seriously consider a Leupold VX3 LR w/ SF 4.5-14x40 or 50. the Vx3 3.5-10x40 works great too. I like the regular duplex with a CDS dial. I have the CDS setup on three rifles, and when the wind cooperates, hitting targets out to 900 yards and back to sight in zero is almost cheating it works so well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 but have only shot the Savage 270Win rifle it's on one short session since mounting it. The reason I bought this Vortex is because of the .5 MOA elevation turret. My scope doesn't have the ranging reticle. I also have a Leupold VX-R 3-12X40CDS mounted on a Browning A-bolt II 308Win and I like the Leupold better optically, but not by much as they are both good scopes. I personally don't like the ranging reticles because I find them difficult to use.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to classifieds and look for the ad by gr8tfuldoug for Zeiss refurbished scopes. You will find what you want for reasonable money with full warranties. IMHO target knobs have no place on a serious hunting rifle. Too easy to move them accidentally. I sight my guns 2 inches high and if it is over 300 yards don't shoot at it. That has worked for about 45 years.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Nikon scopes. 3 are Buckmaster's with the BDC reticule and one is a 5-20 Monarch.
All 4 were made in the Philippines and so far I have been happy with them. The BDC reticule works fantastic at least out to the 300 yards that I have tested it. This is with both a .223 and a .308. Have not tested the one on the 30-06 out yet as I just sighted it in last night.
I also have a Vortex Viper and still have mixed feelings on it.

My other scopes are Leupold's and a Weaver T Series.

For the money in a variable I feel you can not go wrong with the Nikon's BUT I would chose Leupold over all if the cash was there.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPollard:
New to optics and trying to learn about different scope options.

I am looking to buy a 4-16 x44 or 50 power. I have seen some models that have a target elevation turret and also a BDC reticle. What is the point of having both? It is my assumption that if you have the target turret you would just use it to dial up or down. Why would you also have a BDC reticle for holding over?

Brand question: comparing a couple of used scopes:

One is a Nikon Monarch X 4-16 x50. Retails for $1400.

The other is a Vortex Viper HS 4-16 x50 LR. Retails for $699.

I can get the Nikon for $630. Compared to the Vortex, is this a good buy?

Thanks.

What use do you intend to put the scope to, and on what kind of rifle and caliber? Without that information it is difficult to comment on choices.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Leupold VX6 line come in 1X6X24, 2X12X42 and 3X18. Have a 2X12 and am highly impressed by the quality of glass and illuminated reticle.

The 3X18 does not seem to be available yet, but should be out soon.

Have Several Swarofski's and S&B scopes. The new new Leupolds for 40% of the cost compare favorably to the Euro glass.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 or 6 Leupold 4.5x14x50 scopes, one with a TDS reticle and the rest with German #4 ILL or Duplex ILL. They're all I need.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are "new to optics", why do you want a big variable with a huge objective lens ? What is your inteneded application ? $600 will buy you a good variable and a better fixed power. Most hunters we see out here a way overscoped and end up with unbalanced rifles, that are too heavy and burdened with gimmacks and gegaws that always fail or are forgotten when the Elk steps out.
As Finn said: "big game too far away to be shot with a 3X scope is .... too far away."
If I were limited to ONE scope it would be my 2.5-10x32 illuminated Nightforce. It has two shotcomings: it's a second focal plane scope and a too busy reticle. Light, sleek, bulletproof and makes my R1 handle like a Benelli 20 bore semiauto.

Illuminated retical is worth every penny !

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got the smaller-bell Nikon Monarch 4-16 with BDC, which I bought for tahr hunting. My only criticisms are that it has massive 'tunnel vision' and having to crank the parallax adjustment and power ring to use the BDC is all too much when the shot arrives.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vortex Diamondback, and Viper lines are made in the Phillipines. The Razor is made in Japan by L.O.W. Only the Crossfire is made in China.

Some (most) Nikon Monarchs are made in the Phillipines. My 3-9X40 was as were my Encore pistol scopes. I am not sure which others are.

This was stated above, but the origin of the Vortex lines didn't seem to be addressed.

If country of origin is important, buy a Leupold, a Zeiss Conquest, or a Minox. The Leupolds are made in the USA. The Zeiss and Minox are assembled in the USA out of German and Japanese sourced parts. Swarovski does this too with some models. They do this to avoid import taxes.

That said, I like my 2 Vortex scopes, and my Monarch all from the Phillipines.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote