THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    My buddy and I created a 3D printed adjustable scope level

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My buddy and I created a 3D printed adjustable scope level
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Thought I'd share a neat little project that seems to be wrapped up. $150 for a metal version of the same thing was just too expensive for me.

Version 1 has been tested up to 338 Lapua Improved recoil and passed fine. Pictured is Version 2 which is a clamshell design with less pieces to lose. It is on my GAP/CZ/Manners 22. Excuse the bit of finish rubbed off, we were testing different bolt head sizes. A little bit shorter bolt and I'm totally satisfied. They thread into two captured nuts, and the whole assembly is bolted onto the scope via one bolt into helicoils sank into the plastic.

Quite pleased with how it functions, and the finish matches a matte black scope perfectly.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the basic design. Not sure that the window is wide enough. I like to be able to see more of the bubble. Seeing the whole bubble with about 3/16 on either side of it works well for me to quickly center up. I don't use the black center bar.

Just my 2 cents.

Neat project.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you see the level with one eye, while looking through the scope with your other?

If not, one is just guessing if the rifle is level when getting "back on the scope"..

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Jeremy, thanks for the input. When the bubble is centered up there is some space on each side of it, I can try and get a better picture.

Nortman, the one pic from behind the scope is about what my left eye sees. So yes, even with an illumination knob I can see the level with my left eye.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Now I see the big picture Smiler

Until now I thought getting the scope level was just a matter pulling back your head far enough to see the vertical crosswire or post was pointing down the centre of the action, say through the striker slot, while centering parallax distortion.

Setting up a reticle-movement scope on a rifle that didn't shoot to its boresight seemed more of a challenge.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
So I've had tons of interest in this project on various sites, and plan to start selling these as a small business venture.

Here is an updated design:

If you're interested shoot me a PM or e-mail at tykempster@hotmail.com

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Perhaps nylon screws/bolts would be better than steel.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you asking for them?

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Why would nylon screws be better?

If you're referencing the chewed up portion, that was from trying different size bolt heads, which is now resolved.

I should add that we put helicoils in the plastic so it's metal on metal for the bolts. And for the adjustable section bolts thread into captured nuts.

JTEX, $35 shipped for a bare level. We are making a nonadjustable one that will be $10-$15 as well.

posted Hide Post
Do you have a 36mm one?

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
We could make one for you for a small redesign fee...a few bucks extra.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Quite pleased with how they turned out