Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-R scopes
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know whether these have fully-multicoated lenses?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From http://www.leupold.com/hunting...es/vx-r-riflescopes/

A Leupold® exclusive, this system has nearly perfected Leupold’s already impeccable light management. Leupold engineers specify different coating materials for each lens surface in the riflescope, based on the lens’ index of refraction, placement and function, layering each coating to eliminate reflections and maximize light transmission. The result is unparalleled brightness and extremely sharp resolution across the entire visual field.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark. I had found that page earlier.

Leupold used to trumpet its fully-multicoated lenses and they were often the biggest difference between its various models (Rifleman,VXI2,VX3, etc.).

I guess they've gone to other esoteric terms (index-matched lenses) to obfuscate the differences.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the same as a VX-2 according to a Leupold tech.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
It is the same as a VX-2 according to a Leupold tech.

Thanks! That was theinformation I was seeking.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Hog models. I have not used it under demanding light conditions but it is as clear as other Leupolds. The horizontal crosshair says Pig Plex, odd.
I like how the lighted reticle will shut off in no movement is detected, just holding in your lap will keep it on.

Mark

Posts: 1234 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I have two of the HOG scopes and a VX-2 Ultralight. I am planning on buying another HOG. The optics are not as bright and crisp as a Schmidt-Bender, Swarovski, or a top end Kahles but they only cost a quarter as much. I can say without reservation that they are excellent for the money and an absolute best buy. I really like them.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gentlemen!

George

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the VX-R has all the coatings reasonably required. If you are into illumination, though, I'd be more concerned with the batteries.

I've just been hunting with a couple of guys who used VX-Rs, maybe three or four years old. These are pretty-well-organised dudes, with all the modern electronic gadgetry and chargers to suit. Trouble was, neither remembered to check their scope batteries before the trip - and they were flat in both scopes.

They got deer, yes, but could have done it with Leupolds half the price.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote