New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tough as nails?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As anyone who has ever read anything I’ve posted having to do with Unertl scopes knows, it’s pretty clear that I am a big fan of them.

I just got off the phone with Freda back in their Penn. office and she was telling me about the time John actually used the sniper scope he built for the Corps to hammer some tent pegs into the ground to show the Marines how tough they were.

He removed a zeroed scope, beat the tent pegs into the ground with it, remounted it, and fired a group to re-verify the zero...and nothing had moved.

I own one of those scopes and have often jokingly commented that you could probably drive nails with it, but after talking with Freda I didn’t know how close I actually was to being correct.

I sure hope the new S&B scopes the Corps has gone to will be as tough as their old Unertl’s were.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have a tremendous respect for the durability of those scopes. They were (and are) as indestructible as anything out there.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where would you buy one if you wanted one?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These scopes are made specifically for 7.62mm match ammo and .50 BMG ammo. The ballistic cam is built into the scope. They do have fine tune adjustments that allow zeroing for slightly different ammo, but they work best with the ammo they were designed for.

http://www.unertloptics.com/

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I am sure that the Unertl scopes are quite rugged ,but they are not the only rugged scope on the market.I saw a Nightforce 3.5X15 taken off of a rifles used as a hammer replaced back on the rifle and fired,the scope did not lose zero.I also have seen one that had an AK-47 bullet hole completely through the the tube in front of the power ring and according to the solider (whom used the scope for 3 more days) it still adjusted and functioned perfectly.I also looked through this scope and no lens were broken.Quite lucky that the bullet missed all lens as it passed through the errector tube as well.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
I am sure that the Unertl scopes are quite rugged ,but they are not the only rugged scope on the market.I saw a Nightforce 3.5X15 taken off of a rifles used as a hammer replaced back on the rifle and fired,the scope did not lose zero.I also have seen one that had an AK-47 bullet hole completely through the the tube in front of the power ring and according to the solider (whom used the scope for 3 more days) it still adjusted and functioned perfectly.I also looked through this scope and no lens were broken.Quite lucky that the bullet missed all lens as it passed through the errector tube as well.

Unertl’s aren’t the only rugged scopes, and I didn’t say they were. I posted awhile back about my Leupold 3.5-10x scope that my son had on his M4 in Iraq that survived being launched out of a Humvee and sent flying about 75 feet down an embankment in an IED attack. Not as pretty as it was before but mechanically it was fine and it retained its zero.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Unertl that I have is a 15 Ultra Varmint. The almuninum ocular is not as tough as a Supertargetspot. On the other hand the scope has a longer eyerelief span.

Pound for pound I prefer the Lyman scope but both are very good.

The mounts and adjustments on the Lyman scope are much nicer, better looking, work better and stronger.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want durable optics used by our gov't on sniper rifles check this source http://www.usoptics.com located in California I didn't infer it was the only company just one.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scr83jp:
If you want durable optics used by our gov't on sniper rifles check this source http://www.usoptics.com located in California

The Military as well as many SWAT snipers use Nighforce.No one manufacturer has a Monopoly.Leupolds,Nikon Tactical as well as others are used by our
Government

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want durable optics used by our gov't on sniper rifles check this source http://www.usoptics.com located in California

Yeah, the company that is forced to pay patent infringement penalties to Unertl for making and selling an exact copy (right down to a rip-off, look alike logo) of Unertl’s 10x tactical scope.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
quote:

Yeah, the company that is forced to pay patent infringement penalties to Unertl for making and selling an exact copy (right down to a rip-off, look alike logo) of Unertl’s 10x tactical scope.

Rick don't hold back tell us how you realy feal

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
quote:

Rick don't hold back tell us how you realy feal

The truth only hurts when it ought to!

When John Unertl Jr. passed away his wife ran the company for a short time and when she informed the Marine Corps that they wouldn’t be able to service the scopes any longer, the Corps contracted with US Optics for servicing.

Mrs. Unertl was nice enough to provide the specs and such to US Optics so they could service the scopes...and they returned that kindness by copying the design and selling exact duplicates of the Unertl USMC scope, even including stamping them USMC and using a look-alike Unertl logo.

Sorry, but I find that to be just a bit sleezy, not to mention illegal...and so did the courts!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want durable optics used by our gov't on sniper rifles check this source http://www.usoptics.com located in California I didn't infer it was the only company just one.

I’m sure the boys at Quantico ( not to mention Unertl and S&B) would be interested to know that US Optics, according their their web site, produces “the only scope made for the M40 sniper rifle at its 175 grain loads.â€

Ask US optics to show you their government contract to supply rifle scopes to any branch of the US military. They had a contract, for a short time, to service the USMC Unertl scopes...but they don’t supply any scopes to the military that I am aware of.

The Marine Corps M40’s have used Unertl’s since 1979, and recently started using Schmidt-Benders... and the Army M24’s have always been issued with Leupolds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Unertl family sold the business recently.
All good things must come to an end.

Several years ago I bought an old Unertl 10X hunting scope and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the optics (bought it in a dark barn and couldn't look) when I got it home. Turns ou the lens was loose. I called Unertl and the nice lady said "10 mos minimum service time. Senmd it in and I'll add it to the pile." Well I sent it in and in about 5 mos I got it back with a bill for $24. The repair was signed by Enid Unertl.
I have nothing but good things to say about Unertl optics.
I have an old Unertl spotting scope that is so bright I can see to read the small print on a sighting in target at 100 yds. That's resolution
US Optics couldn't even tell me the power of a scope with their name on it. I got it with a 50BMG. Even though I talked to the "VP" and gave him the serial # he couldn't tell me when it was made or what the specs were.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, are you refering to the Unertl 10x Tactical Scope , when you commented about the US OPtic's "COPY"

I have not heard of this patent infringement, involving USO. If indeed, it is as you pointed out, it would be quite underhanded but in big business this happens every day with todays industry.

I have owned several US Optic scopes and have never had a problem and have had great customer service. In fact, I have a USO 10X and I see NOTHING on my scopes LOGO that even comes close to the Unertl logo.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd223:
Rick, are you refering to the Unertl 10x Tactical Scope , when you commented about the US OPtic's "COPY"

I have not heard of this patent infringement, involving USO. If indeed, it is as you pointed out, it would be quite underhanded but in big business this happens every day with todays industry.

I have owned several US Optic scopes and have never had a problem and have had great customer service. In fact, I have a USO 10X and I see NOTHING on my scopes LOGO that even comes close to the Unertl logo.

Yes, its the 10x tactical scope that they copied.

I didn’t say their scopes were bad...just that I thought their business practices were pretty slimy, and their advertizing is just ought and out fraudulent. They state on their web site that they sell “the only sniper scope made for the M40 sniper rifle and its ammunition.â€

The Marine Corps has never used their scopes on the M40, and I am unaware of any US Optics scopes being made/sold to any branch of the US military.

US Optics, for a short period of time when John Unertl Jr. died, had a Marine Corps contract to service/repair the Unertl 10x scopes. They took the blue prints sent to them by Mrs. Unertl and copied the scope and starting selling them...even marking them as USMC... shortly after that.

The company that bought Unertl sued them and won. Unertl used to have the press clippings from the suit on their web site.

Do you have the USO 10x model that is marked “USMC?†Tell me that that logo doesn’t look like the Unertl logo at a casual glance.

http://www.usoptics.com/sub_pages/scope_model.php?recordID=10

http://www.unertloptics.com/

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I knew this would stir Rick's Blood.Rick I can not give you any contract numbers etc,but talking with soliders and my son is in the Intelegence branch of the U.S.Army There are U.S.Optics scopes,Nightforce and some others brands that are purchased by the militery for certain units use.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I knew this would stir Rick's Blood.Rick I can not give you any contract numbers etc,but talking with soliders and my son is in the Intelegence branch of the U.S.Army There are U.S.Optics scopes,Nightforce and some others brands that are purchased by the militery for certain units use.

This isn’t “stirring my blood†its just a case of a company that is flat out lying to people about their products.

SOCOM has open end purchasing authority to buy gear outside of normal military procurement for specialized purposes...but US optics, despite their false/deceptive advertizing, does not build scopes for the Marine Corps, nor do they produce the only scope made for the M40 and its ammunition, as they proudly (and falsely) claim on their web site.

Marine snipers use either their old Unertl’s or the new S&B’s on their M40’s, and the Army uses Leupolds on their M24’s.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like scope technology from USO is holding on, or to put it another way "They don't drive no stinkin' pegs, they drive TRUCKS!":

USO Scope on MY rifle:

Many improvements to this scope over the Unertl "ORIGINAL" including enhanced optics, higher precision machining for vastly better lens centration, replacement of many former brass parts with interchangeable stainless steel parts for better life in and around salt water, improved more reliable reticle technology, etc.

Scope improves just a little on Mr. Unertl's original technology. I have seen and used both company's products and for me at least it is a no brainer.

However, that rifle now wears a slightly later version of USO's technology as shown below:

This scope is the "Canadian Horus", a 34mm tube SN-3 3.2-17x44 TPAL Metric EREK with Lit Horus H-25 Reticle.

I won't get into the gross misrepresentation of the facts perpetrated here above, only say that the record is clear and available for anyone that wishes to become acquainted with it.

Sufficient to say that the US Marine Corp and others are apparently quite pleased with US Optics work and many special projects involving innovative new products have followed this initial effort.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading parts of the law suit between Unertl and US optics a few years back.

I am not a lawyer, nor to I play one on TV.

I was struck by how little money was changing hands.

They must have had some agreement for USO to make the old Unertl scopes, but they were not very good, so the contract fell apart.

Myself, I am toying with buying a US Optics SN3 3.8-22x for $2666, but I already have enough troble fitting in around a hunting camp where verbs are improperly conjugated.

I already have a Unertl Falcon that was $15, but I dickered them down to $10.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
Myself, I am toying with buying a US Optics SN3 3.8-22x for $2666, but I already have enough troble fitting in around a hunting camp where verbs are improperly conjugated.

Great quote! Thanks! Big Grin

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote