Find
Notify
Tools

Hensoldt 4x Diatal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted
I just purchased a Sauer drilling with this scope in claw mounts. It's a fixed 4x rail with a post reticle.

My initial impressions are that it's a quality scope and I understand Hensoldt is now a division of Zeiss.

My question is does anyone know how to make adjustments? There are 4 screws in a single top turret.

Thanks

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I responded in "Combination Guns" and copied what I wrote from there to here.

Regarding your old Hensholdt....

Of the four screws there should be ONE lighter (silver colored) screw and the other three should be brass or possibly even blued or blackened. Net, there should be a BIG difference between three screws & a single one of them. We're currently interested in the LIGHTER colored one; because:

You loosen the silver colored screw to adjust the elevation. The elevation adjustment is accomplished by turning the inner turret once the screw has been completely loosened and it should be re-tightened after the adjustments are made. The old Hensolts did not have a centered recticle, so you'll be able to see how much adjustment has been made by the position of the recticle in the scope's field of view; either lower/higher of center/middle. Depending on the manufacturing date; it may or may not have "Clicks" or the turret simply turns.

If you cannot get enough adjustment, then ALL four screws are removed and you will most likely have to use a mechanical aid (PLIERS!) to further adjust the recticle either higher or lower. By this time you will definately be seeing a difference in the position of the recticle in the scope.

There is @ maximum of 50 cm's; or 20" total horizontal adjsutment built into these older scopes which means from dead center you've only got about 10" to play with - either higher or lower.

Vertical adjustment is made with the set screws in the mounts - hopefully the mount has them.....if not; (Ugh!) it is done with judicious tapping (banging?) or moving the Claw Foot (Base Plate)....I take no responsibility there; in all honesty if it's THAT far off vertically the entire set-up should be looked at by a professional.

Have fun with your new Drilling.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Gerry. I'll try it soon and report back.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote