New
Find
Notify
Tools

QR Rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seems like Tally QR rings are the standard for quality QR rings. Looking for qr rings for a Sako Black Bear. Any reason to look at other brands?

Thank you.

Posts: 871 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I guess things have moved along a bit since then but I've got an article on the subject written by Terry Wieland in 1995 in which Talley doesn't get a mention.

The ones that do are an adaptation to Leupold's STD mounts by Phil Pilkington; the Leupold double-lever QD; Warne's QD; traditional claw mounts; Holland & Holland's and a variation on their design by Mark Silver.

I've got Optilock bases on my old Sako Finnbear and would be surprised if you couldn't get them off in moments - as long as you kept the Torx tool somewhere handy and unforgettable.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At one time Sako offered a QR Optilock that were highly regarded but they are no longer available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you've got a good reason for looking at QR rings, but why?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fair question: Sako Black Bear has very functional iron sights that I want to utilize from time to time and I like shooting open sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IN which case Talleys (my favorite) bases are too high most of the time, but they can be modified to give you a clear picture of your sights...Ive had Dennis Olson and Jack Belk do this for me...

An over looked QD is the standard Weaver system, but keep the tension the same by placement of the thumb screws position and they return very well indeed and their bases give you a clear view of your irons..I also am a big fan of iron sights for much of my hunting..

Another option and one I like is the use of a QD receiver sight, carry the sighting bar in your pocket or cartridge belt and use QD scope rings..

I given a life time of iron/scope systems and stock design to boot..and as I age the receiver has become a bit better than the shallow V, but the shallow V with a flush post (like a revoler sight picture) works as well as a receiver..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote