Find
Notify
Tools

Questions Related To: Centering a Rifle Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
I read the thread centering a rifle scope. I have some understanding, but not got it all down yet. I will.

I have a Remington 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. I installed a Badger one piece Picatinny mount and am using Badger rings. Is the standard practice to place shim material on one claw or the other of the scope mounts to try to align the scope where the reticle is more centerline?

I noted that after I have the scope sighted in that I have used up almost 2/3 adjustment of the knob to the left wall. I felt that if I had some small shim material between the scope base and ring claws that I could in effect adjust that back toward centerline and have full or most of full adjustment either way of the reticle. IF anyone has some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks.

RenegadeRN

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've no knowledge of your mounts but it sounds like you have the right idea. I'd be wary of putting too much strain on the scope if the front mounts can't twist a bit. I just put a small shim in my Ruger base and tightened front and back at the same time.

But for your purpuse, where your windage might be to just aim off, 2/3rds to one side shouldn't really matter.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Putting strain on a scope because of impropper mounting is NOT A GOOD THING.Centering a scopes reticle is vastly over rated IMHO...
Are you out of windage adjustments? If not Why do you need more?.......... bewildered

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rings will do it, switch them. It may make the problem worse, or cure it, or nothing will happen, but it doesn't cost anything.

I would also suggest that you use one of the scope mounting kits to align your rings before you finish the mounting process. I started using the one Midway hawks, and find that it really makes things come together well and prevents marring the finish on the scope. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote