THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Problem with Leupold Ringmount for Sako 75 Finnlight ???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Leupold Ringmount for Sako 75 Finnlight ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just tried the ringmounts I bought for my new Sako 75 Finnlight. The front is great, the rear is way too wide for the narrow grooved base. The directions in the package state that the front mount is wider than the rear, but BOTH in my set are the same! Do I have a defective set of mounts?
Can someone with these mounts on their Sako 75 Finnlight let me know if there is a difference in the widths of your mounts?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a defective set of mounts. The rear is narrower than the front.

The only bad thing here is that the Leupold Ringmounts suck when they are the correct ones front and back. If you can return them and buy a set of Talley's or Optilocks...........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curiously, there's bound to be a set floating around somewhere out there with two rears in it. Yes, return them for an exchange.

I've had great luck with the Leupold ringmounts on some eight or ten Sakos ranging from .223 up to .375 H&H. They are my personal preference in mounting a Sako, but then opinions obviously vary.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, Let me know if you buy another Sako. I think I've still got a couple sets of Leupold RingMounts that I replaced when they started slipping under recoil. I'll let them go very reasonable :-) .....................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried every ring I could get for the Sako dovetailed rigs, and I prefer Talley's primarily. The Leupolds QD's are good bases and rings, but the ringmounts aren't as stout in my experience, and although I haven't had it occur with the few sets I used for a while, I know of several folks--including DJ, that have experienced slippage with them, and not necessarily on big boomer calibers.

Burris says they are going to offer bases for their BTS rings, if they do they should be a great choice, but I can't find the bases yet...

If you do like the ringmounts, you definitely need to get a new rear ringmount!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Stonecreek, Let me know if you buy another Sako. I think I've still got a couple sets of Leupold RingMounts that I replaced when they started slipping under recoil. I'll let them go very reasonable :-) .....................DJ
You probably mounted them on the rear half of the dovetail. For some odd reason, Leupold sized the early production of the ringmounts so that they would only clamp firmly on the forward portion of the dovetails (the wider end). It seems that they figured out the problem with this and narrowed the clamp slightly so that current production fits anywhere on the dovetail.

My .375 H&H is the TRGs model, which is very light for a .375. It's been mounted with Leupold ringmounts for some 15 years and hasn't slipped yet.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
You probably mounted them on the rear half of the dovetail. For some odd reason, Leupold sized the early production of the ringmounts so that they would only clamp firmly on the forward portion of the dovetails (the wider end). It seems that they figured out the problem with this and narrowed the clamp slightly so that current production fits anywhere on the dovetail.

My .375 H&H is the TRGs model, which is very light for a .375. It's been mounted with Leupold ringmounts for some 15 years and hasn't slipped yet.

It might have been that I was using a heavier scope.......................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, my second set of Leupold Ringmounts is the same as the first!! I'm returning them tommorrow.

Are the Talley's lower than the Optilock's? Do you have a model number that works?

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westernmass, I don't have a model number for the Optiloks or Optilok Ringmounts, but they make an 'ultra' or 'extra' low in at leasty the Optilok that I have not seen, but I would guess is lower than the LOW Talley's. The one negative I guess you could say about Talley's is that the lowest ring still sits up there a little bit, on my Sako's, (all dovetail styles) the low rings will clear a 50mm objective on all but one or two barrel contours, and without checking offhand, those may be custom barrels and nonstandard contours.....The Sako Optilok ringmounts look good, I recently ordered a set, I have not seen them before, but I would presume the low version of them would be at least as low as the lows on the Talley's....

Talley's are easier to come by, and cheaper--if you need to buy a set and can't find em where you want, PM me, I've got a bunch around here and I could stand to sell a few--last I looked I have 5 or 6 sets NIB in the shop, and lot's of ring options!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was able to check out in person Leupold Ringmounts in a sporting goods store in New Jersey today. Low and behold, I finally found a set of low mounts that have different bases! I was glad to pay the extra costs vs the internet now that I have a set of bases that will work!
Hopefully I will send some 140gr 7/08's downrange this coming weekend!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Westernmass, glad you got some mounts that will work! Let us know how it goes--Good Luck!