New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOA question re reticle.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trying to figure out a technical situation on my little weaver v3 (1-3x) scope on my 308.
At 50 yds on full 3x power there is a measured 6" gap between the main crosshair and the top of the post. Can anyone figure for me what the moa is.....or if you can tell me what the gap would be at 100 yds I can figure it from there by multiplying by approx .96. My shooting range is 20 miles away and I live in town....I'd like to get a rough idea what it is before I hit the range. It would seem logical that it might cover 12" at 100yds (twice the distance) but for some reason I don't think that's right. thanks.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be 12". It would be................ wouldn't it?

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Done a little more research...it is 12" at 100...24" at 200 and 36" at 300 and it all seems right from what I've considered looking through the scope. Putting my ideas on a trajectory program that little 308 is pretty flat to 300 yds...then falls off like a rock.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like to apply the plex reticle as a ballistic and rangefinding reticle. The way i would do it is to find out what your drop is at 300 yds. from whatever x-hair zero u choose. Suppose it's 6" low at 300. That's close enuf to 2 MOA. Now if the 3x optic's plex post tip is 12 MOA to the lower post tip, then just divide 2 by 12 and u'll get the interpolative (big word for guessing) reticle reference along the reticle's vertical axis. 2/12 = .2 So now aim 2 tenths down to the lower post tip and u should hit the tgt. at 300 yds.

What would really be neat is to run a ballistics program for your load and figure out at what distance the trajectory drops 12 MOA (500-600 yds. maybe?). Set a tgt. up at that distance and see if u can hit it. IMO, applying the plex reticle for downrange zeroing and rangefinding is 1 of the most fascinating aspects of shooting.

Oftentimes when i'm setting up a reticle for long-range shooting i take my old laptop computer with me. I have a plug in for my cigarette lighter that allows me to run it off my truck's battery, and i can then calculate zeros while developing loads. I also have a ballistic program downloaded onto an old PDA, that works great too for portable use.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Trying to figure out a technical situation on my little weaver v3 (1-3x) scope on my 308.
At 50 yds on full 3x power there is a measured 6" gap between the main crosshair and the top of the post. Can anyone figure for me what the moa is.....or if you can tell me what the gap would be at 100 yds I can figure it from there by multiplying by approx .96. My shooting range is 20 miles away and I live in town....I'd like to get a rough idea what it is before I hit the range. It would seem logical that it might cover 12" at 100yds (twice the distance) but for some reason I don't think that's right. thanks.

If your shooting range is 20 miles away,I think your going to have to hold over way more than 12"~~~~!!!!!!!! BOOM

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote