THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Leupold VariX-III and VX-III scope adjustments

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VariX-III and VX-III scope adjustments
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Leupold Vari X-III and a VX-III scope and it seems that when you adjust them, you don't get the a consistent positive adjustment. When you go 4 clicks to the right you don't always get a 1" exact adjustment. It seem you have to play with it a little. I have a friend that has a Weaver scope and when you adjust it, you get that exact adjustment. Does anyone else have this problem?

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've experienced the same thing with Leupold scopes. I've also read about others having problems with the precision of Leupold's adjustments. Hopefully the newer VX3 scopes with dual erectors have solved the problem, but I don't know. Anyone with first hand experience with a VX3?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
an old timers trick was to always give the turret a good tap with an empty case after adjustment. the old scopes would frequently not move internally to freely and the tap helped move them

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always run about three clicks past where I want to go, then back it up four clicks, then forward one click. This almost certainly assures that the reticle has moved commensurate with where you intended it.

On Leupolds (as well as Zeiss) it seems that the "quarter minute" clicks are closer to three to the inch than four to the inch. If you'll keep this in mind it will help prevent over-adjusting.

By the way, the old steel El Paso Weavers seemed to have the most consistent quarter-inch clicks of any scope I've ever worked with.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've had the same problem with lots of scopes but, since I'm not inclined to tweak them up (down?) for long shots, I don't see it as a big deal once they're zeroed.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's backlash.....just like in the machine tool industry

Always keep right hand travel

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote