THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle not grouping any more rings or scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I returned some time ago from a trip where the gun was on a plane to and from home. Mounted scope myself and with in 4 shots on a led sled had 1.5'' high and dead center! I had practiced all last summer with out any need to ever re adjust as the scope and my trip went excellent!

Upon arrival back home the rifle was 6'' high and 3 - 4'' to the right?

Can't seem to get the gun to group and have taken mounts off and re mounted scope and rings to no avail??

Ruger 375 in African model

Ziess 3 - 9 variable scope

Detachable rings that came with gun

I guess my question is why will the gun not group is it the scope??? or the rings?? how does one tell one way or another??

Still obviously shooting same factory ammunition that had been so very accurate before!

Thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It could be anything but I notice you mention that it won't group any more. How big are the groups now? I take it you have tried to wind the zero down again.

Being a luddite, I tend to suspect the erector tube that almost all scopes have nowadays. It is a tube with lenses in it that moves around inside when you adjust the zero. It has several times more mass than the reticles scopes used until about 50 years ago, which makes it more prone to bumps.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote