New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minox BD 8.5X42 BR Asperical review
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I called camera land two weeks ago but Doug was on his day off. So I email him a question about a few binos that I was considering. I was replacing my 7X40 NVA Zeiss and wanted to get as close to that quality as I could for only $300-400. The zeiss are porro prism binos that were for watching the Berlin wall. They bring about $500 on Ebay but I found my 7 years ago for $225 but they were lost, then found by my Dad's Tractor and tillage equipment. The only salvageable parts were the right barrels prisms. So i emailed doug on his day off and within 30 minutes my phone rang... it was Doug at home on his day off to tell me of the Minox Minox BD 8.5X42 BR Aspherical. A couple days later they arrived with a free pound of coffee and a free hat. All for a charge of $250! Doug thought they were his best buy - far better than the other ones i was considering Nikon ATBs and Minox BL BRs... I was somewhat sceptical about the binos and immediately was taken aback by the quality feel, fit and finish of the binos. The only fault on fit and finish is the seam in the armor on the bottom outside edge of the barrels. It could be finished a bit better in that area. The first use of them I was amazed at the clarity of the optic. The color rendition as well is extremely good. After a day or two I found a very small sticker barely attached near the hinge that said, "Made in China" - Surely not... But after using them every day for a 10 days, I really don't care if they are made on the Island of Yap as long as the quality and quality control is there! I had heard of chromatic aberration and that Minox has some issue with this. So I decided to try to find it. The C.A. was only located when a twig or something very small is against a white sky and you move the object to the edge of the view. So I would say it is a non issue due to the fact of the circumstances to make it appear. Another great thing about the binos is that the focus ring on the right barrel although non locking turns stiff enough to stay put. It does not move when you do not want it to. The center focus works great. The quality and heft is fantastic, the fit and finish is excellent... they have aluminum frame, twist up eye cups with 3 detents, focus very easily, a great neoprene strap (although i use a harness) and I think they out perform my 7X40 Zeiss NVA - all except extremely low light and the 3D view one gets with porro prism binocs. I cannot afford the high end European glasses at this point in my life and for the cost and quality these will suit me just fine. As many here, I cannot say enough good about Doug's service and camera land. If you are looking for a bargain in optics this is it!
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote