New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you know it's the scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If a rifle is not shooting that accurate, what needs to be done to see if the scope is the problem rather than the gun?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing I normally do is switch it to another rifle that I know shoots well.

Second thing is make sure that the rings are perfectly aligned, and then lap them in.

One thing I have seen happen to guys whose rifles don't shoot is that they don't tighten their stock screws (I am being serious) I have been to the range where guys have cursed there guns, and wanted to get rid of them. 60 pounds per inch on the screws normally gets the gun shooting well again.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks sierrabravo45.

Let me ask you this, if my scope was three inches high at 50 yards upon arrival in Africa after being dead on prior to leaving, was that an indicator that the scope is bad? Or do perfectly good scopes do weird things during air travel?

The scope by the way held zero during the hunt itself.

Also, what does it mean to "lap them in" when referring to the rings?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
lapping in is the mechanical cutting of the bottom scope mounting surface of the rings to make them follow the same cylinder. It is done with a long rod of soft steel the same diameter of the scope tube and a minimum of twice the distance between the rings long. Clover valve grinding paste is placed in the ring base. The Clover paste impegnates the soft steel rod and cuts the harder rings as the rod is turnd and pulled and turned and pushed through the rings.
It provides a solid 100% contact between scope ring and scope tube that is aligned so that when the scope rings are tightened on the scope body there is no stress imparted to the scope body (other than compression of the tube).
Just because the rings are in mechanical alignment doesn't mean they are any better aligned to the bore. Infact you can get too aggrasive and lap in an angle if not careful.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:
Thanks sierrabravo45.

Let me ask you this, if my scope was three inches high at 50 yards upon arrival in Africa after being dead on prior to leaving, was that an indicator that the scope is bad? Or do perfectly good scopes do weird things during air travel?

The scope by the way held zero during the hunt itself.

Also, what does it mean to "lap them in" when referring to the rings?

When I went to RSA back in 04, my scope was off a bit, I forget how much, but I think I was 3 inches high instead of 2 inches. I realinged the scope and was fine. On any trips I take, I bring along an extra scope just in case Murphys Law kicks in. You just never know.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
lapping in is the mechanical cutting of the bottom scope mounting surface of the rings to make them follow the same cylinder. It is done with a long rod of soft steel the same diameter of the scope tube and a minimum of twice the distance between the rings long. Clover valve grinding paste is placed in the ring base. The Clover paste impegnates the soft steel rod and cuts the harder rings as the rod is turnd and pulled and turned and pushed through the rings.
It provides a solid 100% contact between scope ring and scope tube that is aligned so that when the scope rings are tightened on the scope body there is no stress imparted to the scope body (other than compression of the tube).
Just because the rings are in mechanical alignment doesn't mean they are any better aligned to the bore. Infact you can get too aggrasive and lap in an angle if not careful.

Lapping scope rings mates the rings to the lap...not necessarily your scope. I make it a practice to apply inletting white to the rings to see how they match up to the scope. I have seldom found rings, even those that have been lapped or reamed (better than lapping), that make 100% contact with a scope tube. In my opinion the best way to get a good uniform fit of rings to scope is to skim bed the scope into the rings with bedding compound once you know that the rings are aligned to the bore and each other.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote