New
Find
Notify
Tools

swfa ss hd 5x20x50 illuminated riflescope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took this scope out to a wheat field yesterday evening to check low light performance. I was very impressed with it light transmission, resolution even to the edge of field of view. i was able to see and kill a pig in the field when it was so dark it could not be seen with the naked eye.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are remarkably good scopes.

What rifle did you park it on?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is on a fairly heavy 3006 done by Greg Tannel. rem 700 with Broughten barrel 26 inches

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Phil-

Please tell us about the illumination on these -- and the reticle as well. A number of scopes have adequate glass for truly low light but feature illumination that is still too bright on the dimmest settings when the conditions are all but dark.

I have not seen this particular model and am curious and anxious to hear someone's actual experience rather than reading marketing hype. Thanks in advance...and congrats on the hog.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9405 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby it has about 10 brightness settings. in the dark they go from can only be seen with night vision to brighter than you would use hunting like we do. a small point of red at a setting you would use for hunting. in between each brightness setting it turns off and can be rotated counter and clockwise. illumination can be set dim enough for any situation. scope heavy posts top and horizontal and ten mil elevation marks with a half mil mark between each mil mark. you can see the reticle on swfa.com.its a $1500 scope and it has never failed to impress me. I have never bought a tacticle type scope before. I was using it on 8x when hunting and there was no problem getting behind the scope and having full field of view of course the exit pupil will be reduced in size as the power is increased.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
first focal plane but the reticle without illumination was very good until quite dark.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Phil-

Many thanks for the very helpful info. I appreciate it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9405 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That design for the increase or decrease in brightness settings with an off position between each setting is like Meopta R2 concept. I like it! You can go straight to a setting without having to scan though the options up or down.
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Brousseau:
Bobby it has about 10 brightness settings. in the dark they go from can only be seen with night vision to brighter than you would use hunting like we do. a small point of red at a setting you would use for hunting. in between each brightness setting it turns off and can be rotated counter and clockwise. illumination can be set dim enough for any situation. scope heavy posts top and horizontal and ten mil elevation marks with a half mil mark between each mil mark. you can see the reticle on swfa.com.its a $1500 scope and it has never failed to impress me. I have never bought a tacticle type scope before. I was using it on 8x when hunting and there was no problem getting behind the scope and having full field of view of course the exit pupil will be reduced in size as the power is increased.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote