New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA "sweet" series of scopes...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see that many of these are showing up on sales with alot of the internet suppliers. I just ordered a Sweet 30-06 for $59. Are they anygood or just junk??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky,

Take a look at the language you used in your question:

"sales"

"internet suppliers"

"$59"

Given the reputation of BSA-branded optics and the language you've used to describe the current offering, I think you've answered your own question.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't catch me risking one of my valuable days hunting with any $59 scope regardless of brand name. Doubly so since it is a BSA.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having never handled one, seen one, etc., can not speak from personal experience, but would say their reputation is not a good one. Doubt any optics in today's market selling for less than 100.00 is anything more than a "wannabe" scope. If you can return for a refund, even if you have to eat a few bucks on shipping and handling, send it back and spend that money plus on a good name brand/good quality used scope. Otherwise, truly wasting your hard earned funds.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with what's been said about BSA scopes.
If funds are limited, a worthwile scope, that will serve you and not crap out with the first shot from a rifle, is the Weaver fixed 4x scope.
Not a whole lot more than the BSA, but a whole lot less likely to fail. My son's got one mounted on a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and it serves him well.
BSA and Chinese made Tasco's are black holes to dump money into.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't intend to "hunt"the scope unless it proves itself over a period of time. My hopes is that it really works as advertised and I can play "rock hitter" and "clay bird" breaker at the different berms on our shooting range.
I know a guy locally who has had good luck with the sweet 17 but realize it's not a great test.
I was hoping to hear a success story or two....maybe they don't exist....but for $59 I'm willing to give it a try and if it doesn't work....off it goes to ebay where someone will probably pay more for a used one than they should.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BSA are the worst kind of junk.

You would have been MUCH better off to order one of the Pentax Pioneers that Camera Land has on here for sale for $89 with free shipping, they are actually a Burris FFII with a Pentax label.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a few burris with bp. If I remember most the pentax didn't have the bp. I did order a gameseeker from them in 4-12. Not too impressed. No one can tell me what the hashmarks correspond to for inches at 100 yds or moa. (I even emailed pentax and never heard back from them). JUst shooting from the hip I can say the first hashmark is rediculously close to the main horizontal reticle. AND the power adjuster around the eyepiece is SO BIG the only bolt action I think it could go on is something like a browning, wby or tikka with super short bolt throw.
Well...we'll see how the bsa does. I guess I realize I'll be lucky if it holds a zero..let alone can repeat itself with up and down adjustments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't expect miracoulous results from the BSA stuff. Have I ever used them? Yes. The very first BSA's I ever encountered were 3-9's for $39.00. First two performed so well and held up on 25-06 and 7mmMag that I got 5 more and mounted them on different calibers from 22LR to 30-06............3 of those 5 got returned to the factory!
As far as the "Sweet" models go........if you get one that zeros and then lets you "unscrew ALL the set screws(3) in the turret cap to place it at zero then you may have one that will work .........at least for awhile. I've seen them perform spendidly on 17HMR's and 223'sbut have no experience with the bigger ones. I run a gunshop. I am counted on for advice and service. I don't sell BSA stuff!! As far as the Pentax "Pentaplex" vs the Burris FFII BP, the markings should correspond exactly with the Burris chart...........have so far in tests. Doug at Cameraland is offering a great deal on the Pentax scopes!! When you step up to the LIGHTSEEKER line of Pentax optics, you've elevated your optics!! Undoubtedly the name fits!! They are truly Lightseekers!! Put 3 rifles on the bench with PENTAX LIGHTSEEKER, Leupold VXII or VX III and Nikon Buckmasters on them in low light conditions! The PENTAX will be BRIGHT. The NIKON will be nearly as bright but sharper to the edge of viewing field and the Leupold will be an also ran! Leupold used to be the king of the hill in optics. They knew it and just sat back on their laurels. The other scopemakers GOT BETTER and caught up!! Hell, it took Leupod until 2009 to offer a fast-focus eyepiece on their scopes!! Their service is great and that helped also but you don't have to spend out theying-yang to eqaul their glass!!............Back to original question.........BSA ain't there yet!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
can't speak to current quality, but have two ten year old BSA 6-18 Platinums that two teenage boys have not destroyed; I can hardly call them junk.
Inexpensive, decent focus and clarity,ten years of service--- definitely not junk.
Maybe the newer ones are , don't know.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
I see that many of these are showing up on sales with alot of the internet suppliers. I just ordered a Sweet 30-06 for $59. Are they anygood or just junk??

I am not sure why you asked after the fact.
BSA has pretty well proven itself to be junk.
I can't understand spending $60 for nothing.
I would stick with iron sights first. The Pentax adrook mentioned is only $30 more with free shipping.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
BSA

Better Select Another

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Sorry but the BSA's of today are steaming piles of pig excrement.

I know, say how I really feel, right?

Look at the bright side...

That Pentax Gameseeker you bought that "you're not too impressed" with, will look like a Ziess or Swarovski after messing with those BSA's!!

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So....which one of you guys that's condemned the
"sweet" series actually has owned one?? Just curious. Anyhow...I guess I started something so controversial that I had to get a PM from a guy that's owned one with many many rounds and finds......the darn thing works and is still working. OH WELL....who knows what I'll get....but I'm convinced that I've spent $59 more foolishly. I got about what I expected for feedback when I posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kraky,

I respect the fact that it's your money and your decision. If this is what your budget allows, then so be it. If the scope is used judiciously and performs to your liking, then its money well spent.

I do have one of these scopes and its fine for plinking (which you mentioned is its primary use). The optics aren't that bad, but I wouldn't subject the mechanics to magnum recoil.

My BSA still sits on a 22 plinker. Its an old rifle and the cost of the scope, the rifle and a brick of cheap ammo is still under $100 !!! But damned if it ain't fun!!!

If that scope on your rifle gets you out shooting and having fun, then what's not to like? The other posters are expressing their experiences, and are no doubt trying to offer good advice. Here's mine: Grab some ammo and GO SHOOTING, create your own experience.

Have fun!!!

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked through one once. It was kinda yellow.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with cheap scopes isn't just the low optical quality, it is the low reliability. The fact that one or more BSA scopes has lasted doesn't offer much assurance that any given one you buy will hold up. Optics are one area where a higher price frequently does indicate higher quality. With the substantial costs involved in hunting I can't justify a $59 scope. For an around the farm beater it may serve your purposes though.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize that when you buy a good scope like a leupold today you can shoot it for 15 years and probably sell it for what you paid for it. I've done it over the years and still have many leo's in the safe. A couple have custom reticles from the days when premiere reticle did them up.
BUT, I like to root for an underdog...and the bsa is just that. I probably won't get that scope mounted on a gun I will shoot till towards fall but will post my "folly" or success when it happens. Thanks to all for opinions and experiences.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Nope, I've never owned one. I've shot through one. My good friend had one briefly on one of his rimfires. It sucked. After a very short lifespan it shot off zero and wouldn't adjust. This was on a 17 hmr and was only taken to the range and back. He was never beating on it in the field. It doesn't matter how cheap it is if it breaks, it's a broken scope taking a rifle out of action.

When I was manager at a sportsman's warehouse, we took back a very high percentage of all the BSA's we sold. Sorry, not trying to insult you, but they suck.

I never owned a Yugo either. Didn't have to own one to tell that they sucked.

I'm not an "optics snob", so it's not about that, I've got several different brands of scopes on my guns. No BSA's though. Lifes too short to suffer through one of those.

Just my view only... shoot what you want.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BSA scopes are OK.......Just don't look through them very much and they won't wear out..... Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
BSA scopes are junk.

Just wait until there's a little heat & humidity & watch for the pretty patterns growing on the lenses.......

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I had one on a 17 HMR. Worst Optic I've owned. Yellow, would not hold zero, zero changed with magnification. I gave it away to a kid and I think he's using it as a spotting scope.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
About the only sub $100 scope I would consider is Pentax.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I had a Sweet17 and it looked like milk was on the lenses past about 8x. For under $200 it's pretty hard to beat Bushnell. I myself save up and buy used Leupy's.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sweet 17 on my Savage 93. I can see a fly on a stucco wall at 60 yards. I have three BSA scopes. While they are not a Nightforce, they are not junk, in my opinion. Try the one you have. See for yourself. Don't judge a book by its cover...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an early Japanese made 36X BSA. The optics are not top notch, but the internals are good. Arnold Jewell took one apart and said it is better made inside than a Leupold. I know nothing of the other BSA scopes. I use it for working up loads on my rifles.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought one for my T-Bolt, JUNK!!!!!!!!! Drop by if you want it, I'll give it to you. On second thought, I wouldn't do that to you.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked through a BSA scope.
I took a dim view.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
My son had bad luck with his BSA on a rimfire. It has been said that only a rich man can afford a cheap scope. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
If you buy a scope for $60 dollars, don't expect a $600 dollar scope.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they anygood or just junk??

You asked the question after the fact. I suspect you already knew the answer. Don't get defensive when you don't like the answers.

BSA's are junk scopes.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the majority here: BSA = Better Select Another... thumbdown

I've had 2 of them via trades, and both were problematic. One was used, not in the greatest condition and became a paperweight. The other was NIB, so I sent it back, got it replaced and sold the new one for what I could get out of it.

Have you had a chance to try yours out yet?

I am hoping you have better luck with BSA than most have had.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9371 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BEEN
SUCKERED
AGAIN

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sweet17 and put it on a Savage 93 also. Cheap gun/cheap scope. I still have the scope. It was working great when I took it off the rifle.

My one and only experience with BSA was good. That said, it was on a plinking gun and if it went tits up it wouldn't have been a big deal.

For a honest to goodness hunting rifle I would go the Weaver 4X route DMB suggested.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote