THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    HELP with OLD REDFIELD - IS IT IMAGE MOVING TYPE?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP with OLD REDFIELD - IS IT IMAGE MOVING TYPE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello!

I have the chance to buy either of these 'scopes by mail. But need to know if they are IMAGE MOVING or RETICULE MOVING. The sellers don't speak English too good...so I don't want anything "lost in translation"!

Both are described as Redfield 2.75 x 20 and both seem to be "Widefield" type? Also seller say that they have 1" tube? I hope so as that is the size of my rings.

Any advice is gratefully welcomed!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
image moving - reticule moving would go back way beyond redfield, can't tell if they are widefield from the picture, a widefield will be a oval eyepiece, not a round one & i think they look round to me

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bottom photo definately shows one of the Widefields. Due to the angle of the photo, I'm not sure if the top one is Widefield or conventional.

The Widefield has a "television-shaped" ocular which supposedly gives you a wider field of view. This style was very briefly popularized by Redfield, and imitated by Weaver, shortly before each went out of business, so that tells you something of how the market viewed this feature.

Regardless, this vintage of Redfield, often refered to as "Denver Redfields" for their place of manufacture (as opposed to their Asian-made successors in name), was a well-made scope with a "constant centered" reticle just like you find in most modern internally adjustable scopes. I have a few Denver Redfields and find them excellent and serviceable scopes. Like most American scopes, the reticle is non-magnifying on variables.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your replies. As you can guess my mounts and rings are modern so don't have windage adjustment! So whilst I could cope with a reticule that goes up and down I don't like the old type that move from side to side for the windage.

Thank you both again. Both 'scopes BTW are said to be the WIDEFIELD type.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote