Find
Notify
Tools

Do you juggle optics?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Right, so I'm going through the safe and found that I had quite a few to sell off. And then I asked myself - why not juggle a few scopes?

And so, just for giggles, I've juggled three rifles and four scopes. Because maybe…just maybe I might have optimized my safe from an Optic / Rifle / Load perspective by doing this. As if…maybe I "need" to use a 120gr. TSX or a 150 ETip…or perhaps just settle in with a 145 HotCore…all which shoot sub 1.5" at 200 yards…in three different rifles.

Sure, I've screwed up zero's not 5 weeks in front of hunting season…but who cares. Right? Worst case, I go hunting ol' Whitey with a .257 Bob or a .375 H&H and maybe a .44 mag.

But hey, it's all synthetic frippery in the end. Just having fun. Just…

Because.

Anyone?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all the time

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have done so this week, and rifle season starts Saturday. Big Grin

I look at it this way, though: if you have proven glass and a proven firearm, what's the harm in swapping things around?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year several scopes have been added and juggled - normally my rifles wear the same scope until one breaks or is sold with the gun. I am using conquest 3x9's on hunting rifles for elk and deer and a mixed bag on the others.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't juggle very much. At times when I buy a new or used gun, I will take the scope off an existing rifle and put it on the recent purchase for testing. If the new rifle won't shoot or I can't make it shoot, it will be sold before I buy a new scope for it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2647 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Since most of my scopes are in QD mounts I do it all the time; it takes maybe 10 seconds.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take rifles to the range with 3x9 and higher powered fixed scopes from 12X to 24X for load testing. But I hate hunting with a big clunker mounted to my rifle.
So off goes the big scope and on goes the 2.5X or 3X.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
all the time.

for some rifles I have TWO scopes set up ... although there really is no hard hunting around.

:-)

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
So far I have only done it with one rifle, a Tikka 270WSM bought for tahr hunting but sometimes used to pack in for sambar. For tahr I use a NIkon Monarch 4-16 but a little Leupold Vx-1 2-7 does for sambar and is my preference.

However, since I have started collecting old scopes, I might start swapping a few others just for the hell of it. If I had an old B&L Custom plunger mount base and several ring sets, this could be an easy matter.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote