New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Sequoia Spotting Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How are the Sequoia Scopes compared to others in the price range, like Nikon, etc. ($400-$500)? I see they have kits for sale at Cabela's at a decent price.

I have been using a Burris Landmark for 10 years, but it is not as clear as I would like it to be. I am looking at spotting at a target range between 100-300 yards.

I have a pair of Leupold Wind River 8x42 binos and am impressed by their performance for price, wondered if the Sequioa was the same way.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sequoia scope that I bought about 3 years ago. I am thoroughly disappointed with it and wish I had never bought it. I can't get the clarity I need and struggle to see 20 cal bullet holes at 100 yards. I'm planning on buying a higher end spotting scope to replace it. I wish I had just bought a higher end scope to begin with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sequoia is Chinese-made. It seems that the low-cost Asian makers have trouble with higher magnifications, whether it is in scopes, binoculars, or spotting scopes. I've seen some low-powered "Leupold" binoculars (Yosemite) that are outstandingly clear and crisp with excellent resolution, but when magnification goes above 10X or so, it seems that the flaws in the instrument are also "magnified".

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
I have a Sequoia scope that I bought about 3 years ago. I am thoroughly disappointed with it and wish I had never bought it. I can't get the clarity I need and struggle to see 20 cal bullet holes at 100 yards. I'm planning on buying a higher end spotting scope to replace it. I wish I had just bought a higher end scope to begin with.

x2

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I was going off of my impression of a different "Leupold" import, the Wind River binocs. I have a pair of Japan-made WR 8x42 roof prisms, and they are outstanding optics.

I was leaning towards the Kowa 600 series, I will save my nickels and dimes and lean harder.

tu2

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote