New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex Viper
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am seriously considering a new Vortex Viper HS in 4-16x44 to top a 7mm RM. I was curious if any one here has used the scope and what their opinion of it is? I will also be looking into the custom dial as well.

I have owned Leupold scopes in the past, VXII and VXIII, but not 100% sold on them. I am not able to purchase, nor see the need for, a 1K-2K scope for a hunting rifle that only sees limited use.

My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist

Posts: 26 | Location: CA | Registered: 15 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a vortex pst with mil reticle, I forget what they call it. Scope is as clear as my Leopoldo. Turrets are positive click. I have not done a box test yet, but it has tracked all of my other movements trying to make it not track. Nice side A/O knob. The entire reticle illuminates. It is the FTP model. I think it was around 1000. The razors are a bit clearer, very comparable to my night force.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bought one and liked it enuf to go out and get 2 more.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Just rcvd notice from Vortex that my PST 6-24x50 is shipping to me today. I have been waiting for the latest shipment to arrive for awhile now. I have very high expectations for this scope.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter
What are you putting it on?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage Mdl 10 Precision (Police) Carbine in .223Rem that I took to africa and used for small antelope last September. I had a Vortex Viper on it at the time. Everyone liked the set-up. I decided to upgrade to the PST to get a lighted reticle for dawn and dusk shooting.

I am impressed with what Vortex is doing with their hunting scopes and their customer service has been great, as is their pricing for the variety of features they build into their scopes.

If the PST lives up to my expectations, I will be very pleased.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I've got a buddy that put a Viper HS with a custom turret on a 7MM RUM and was smashing rocks with it at 700+ yards. I've got a regular Viper 6.5-20 and tagged a milk jug at 600yds the first time I dialed the range on it. If you got with the Viper you won't be dissapointed.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
I've got a buddy that put a Viper HS with a custom turret on a 7MM RUM and was smashing rocks with it at 700+ yards. I've got a regular Viper 6.5-20 and tagged a milk jug at 600yds the first time I dialed the range on it. If you got with the Viper you won't be dissapointed.

Ordering tomorrow... Doug at Cameralandny made a deal I cant refuse

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Doug is a great guy and you won't be disapointed with the scope. Let us know how it works out for you.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my new Viper today and I must say I am very impressed. The glass is crystal clear and the adjustments are very crisp and positive. I am looking forward to getting it mounted and off to the range. Hopefully the weather will hold off this weekend and I can get that done. I dont think that will happen however, supposed to rain and they are calling for snow on the valley floor here. We are at about 300' so if it snows no range time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well....I went to my local gunsmith to have it mounted and bore sighted and we Houston we have a problem. I noticed a couple of very small, faint scratches on the tube when I got it. I was enough that I contacted the distributor to make sure it was a new scope and not a demo. I was assured it was new. The smith dropped the scope in the rings and he says it doesn't feel right. The rings were checked to make sure they were square to the receiver and he attempted again. Same result. Out come the calipers, this cant be good. It appears the scope had been mounted previously and the back tube is crushed!! Guess I get to find out if the Vortex Warranty is really as good as they say it is. I am NOT happy

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
KRasmussen wrote:
quote:
I received my new Viper today and I must say I am very impressed. The glass is crystal clear and the adjustments are very crisp and positive...

And later: "It appears the scope had been mounted previously and the back tube is crushed!! Guess I get to find out if the Vortex Warranty is really as good as they say it is. I am NOT happy"

Are you certain it did not happen in the 'smith's mounting? It would be pretty difficult to miss a "crushed tube" when checking out the scope.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
KRasmussen wrote:
quote:
I received my new Viper today and I must say I am very impressed. The glass is crystal clear and the adjustments are very crisp and positive...

And later: "It appears the scope had been mounted previously and the back tube is crushed!! Guess I get to find out if the Vortex Warranty is really as good as they say it is. I am NOT happy"

Are you certain it did not happen in the 'smith's mounting? It would be pretty difficult to miss a "crushed tube" when checking out the scope.

Positive....I stood right there and watched. The upper halves of the rings were NEVER installed

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted. The only Vortex return I am personally familiar with resulted in the owner getting a brand-new scope within a week. His rifle took a fall during a hunt,and the damaged scope no longer tracked properly.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
As I stated above, I have found Vortex customer service to be excellent. Call and speak with Doug at Cameraland first, then call Vortex, and do let us know how this is resolved.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
As I stated above, I have found Vortex customer service to be excellent. Call and speak with Doug at Cameraland first, then call Vortex, and do let us know how this is resolved.

I have been in contact with Doug and he is very surprised and has been great. I do not think he was aware of the condition of the scope, somehow it fell through the cracks. I have sent Vortex an email and am awaiting a response, which should be today. I will keep updating as I know more

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like this is an issue for Doug to resolve for you, not Vortex directly. Informing them is fine but let Doug work for you. After all, he is the one who sold you the scope, not Vortex. You don't want to get between them as an end user. JMO.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I dropped a pair of Vortex 10x44 binos on concrete and bent the body. Vortex rebuilt them no questions asked, no charge knowing it was my fault. Hopefully you'll experience similar service.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
It sounds to me like this is an issue for Doug to resolve for you, not Vortex directly. Informing them is fine but let Doug work for you. After all, he is the one who sold you the scope, not Vortex. You don't want to get between them as an end user. JMO.

After conversations with Camera Land and Vortex the correct game plan is to send the scope to Vortex. Vortex said they would rather have the scope shipped directly to them instead of the distributor. The reasoning is that the distributor would then need to ship the scope to Vortex and it would cost the distributor as well as the customer time. Vortex would rather have it directly to save both time and money.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! That's great service from Vortex and will certainly save time getting the problem corrected. I think their approach is a direct result of being a relatively new player in the outdoors/shooting optics arena, family business and really wanting to demonstrate their commitment to the marketplace. Given the circumstances, I would expect most manufacturers to insist the problem be handled through the distributor/seller.

Anxious to hear the resolution, but I am convinced you will be pleased.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 3 X 9 Diamondback from Doug did not like the consitency in clicks on adjustments.
was out at the local 3 Bears store similar to Costco with GUNS! And they exchanged it with no problems for a new one. Quite the service they said Vortex is so easy to deal with it was no prblem even though I did not buy it from them.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope was returned to Vortex and they received it yesterday afternoon. First thing this morning I got a call from Vortex informing me that a brand new scope is on its way. They were very apologetic that the scope I purchased was damaged. According to Fedex tracking it will be delivered March 28th.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
That sounds like very good customer service to me. I'm thinking of swapping out the Leupy on my 338-378 Wby for a 4-16 PST FFP. This makes that decision easier.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heat:
That sounds like very good customer service to me. I'm thinking of swapping out the Leupy on my 338-378 Wby for a 4-16 PST FFP. This makes that decision easier.

Ken....

Their warranty and customer service was one of my deciding factors in purchasing a Vortex. I also did a lot of research and in my price range they came out on top. I was not able to hold one in hand prior to buying, so a side by side comparison was out of the question. I have also recently purchased a Vortex binos as well. Their warranty and customer service has made me a customer for life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new replacement scope arrived late yesterday. I am very happy to finally have a scope for the rifle. Now, off to get it mounted and some range time. I am sure glad I didnt wait for the last minute before deer season to upgrade.

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Hope this scope works better for you this time around. Smiler

I know everyone that I've talked to who has a Viper scope love it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New scope has been received, mounted and bore sighted. Next step is the range. My ONLY complaint about the whole mix up is the waiting time for shipping from Vortex. I called Vortex to inform them of the issue they issued me a call tag from Fedex and 2 day shipping TO them. However, the return shipping to me was 7 days. I know I am being critical but I would have liked to have had the scope back in my hands sooner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I am being critical but I would have liked to have had the scope back in my hands sooner

If that's the only problem you've got with the whole exercise, you'd probably complain if someone was poking diamonds up your arse. Smiler

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
I think you guys just sold a couple of scopes for Vortex. One for my Rem .280 ...scratch that my daughter's New RMEF Rem .280 (she is watching me type this.) The other will top of the new Lefty Zavasta M98 Mauser in .300 Win Mag. I looked at these in the Denver Bass Pro Shop and was very impressed. I just didn't know much about them. One thing about AR you might have to go through a bit of bull butter to get the info you want, but in the end the advice is worth listening to.

I have bought a couple of guns here and got in on the Left Hand Mauser deal so it is woth checking in often.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote