New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver k4 4x28 on browning BL22
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an older Browning BL22 that I would like to put an older scope on (to keep the'ol vintage look) I have a weaver k4 4x28 that was bought in 1964 mounted on a '06 for one year then removed and stuck in grandmas closet.

Would this work on my BL22?

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parallax would be an issue as the K-4 is a big game rifle scope, and would have its parallax set at 100 yards or more. The 22 would be shot a much shorter distances. If you keep your eye centered in the ocular, parallax is virtually eliminated, no matter what distace the parallax is set for.

Go for it!!!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don is right, but the real parallax error is negligible, so go right ahead.

The bigger issue for me would be the weight and bulk of the steel tube scope on a slick and petite little saddle gun. The Weaver K-4 is a good one, but it is heavy and long for your little gun.

Another issue is the drop in the stock. I found that mounting a scope on my BL-22 required such a much higher eye position that the stock, which is designed for iron sights, didn't work well with the scope. I soon took the scope off and have always used the BL-22 with irons since.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Another issue is the drop in the stock. I found that mounting a scope on my BL-22 required such a much higher eye position that the stock, which is designed for iron sights, didn't work well with the scope. I soon took the scope off and have always used the BL-22 with irons since.

Thats a helluva idea, thanks. I always thought of having a scope on it but that makes so much more sense. I'll save the weaver for another purchase.

Thanks,

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reached the same conclusion with my BL22 a long time ago.

Even the rail mounted 3/4" tube bushnell rimfire scopes weren't low enough.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote