New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris or Nikon?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a variable scope for my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum. I've narrowed my search down to either a Burris 2-7x32 with Posi Lock, or the Nikon 2.5-8x28. I need something in a nickel finish that will withstand the recoil of some of my heavier hand loads, so I'm favoring Burris's Posi Lock feature. I've never looked through a Nikon though. Both scopes are in the same price range, around $300. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which one has the edge in optical quality.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I personally like Nikon's glass more than Burris. I bought the Nikon a few months back and it has handled my 357 through load development. Can't tell you if it will handle the 44, it should.

The nikon has better eye relief as well.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen and looked through the Burris and while the optics are nice and clear, to me it isn't that attractive. The silver finish almost has a gold hue to it and overall it looks pretty plain. The Nikon is much nicer looking in pictures, so thats another plus. Nikon also claims 95% light transmission but I can't find any specs for the Burris. I'm going to call around and see if I can find someone near me who sells Nikon so I can have a look through one, but right now I'm considering changing my choice to the Nikon.
Is your Nikon the 2.5-8 variable, or the fixed 2x model? If its the variable, how well does the eye relief hold up at high power?

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
rowdyredneck,

I bought the fixed 2 because the variable's eye relief fluxuates on both the Burris and the Nikon and I have long arms. I wanted to get a simple scope that was durable, clear, and had plenty of eye relief. I'm anxious to try it on game this fall. All the game I've taken w/ pistols has been w/ open sights thus far.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote