New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski 10 x 42 EL Binoc's Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on a plainsgame hunt in Africa and I am confused as to quality issues between the different binocs. I could spend $1750 and get a pair of Swarovski's or $899 and get a pair of Zeiss Conquest 10 x 40 or buy some Nikon ATB's for $300 or so. Is the difference between these brands worth it? Is the Swarovski's worth $850.00 more? I would appreciate input from you guys out there who understand this better than me.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have here a Swaro EL 8,5x42 and I am absolutely happy with it - since that I have just used 2 times again my older Zeiss 8x56 to compare - NO DOUBT anymore and the Zeiss will just collect dust in the house - the Swaro is much better in it´s brilliant image...!

But You are aware, that a new Swaro EL is close of release...:
This here:
http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...x42-swarovision.html

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Swarovski 7x42 SLC's with Swarobrite. They are magnificent in every respect except they weigh 33 ounces.
If you will be doing a lot of walking, which seems to be the way you hunt in Africa, I'd opt for the Swarovski 8x32 EL's. They are light weight, and from reading posts by guys who have them, they are the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't take binocs with me on my plains game hunt this year and didn't miss them. I was there in late March and there was a lot of foliage. I did have my Leica rangefinder and only needed it for two of my six animals, but only had time to use it on one at 150 yards. Your situation may warrant binocs, but I don't like carrying them if I don't need them. However, if were considering which ones to buy and was going to use them frequently, I would go with the swarovski. I have a different brand and am not happy with them, but since I bought them I have yet to use them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how anyone, anywhere, could hunt without binos.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the EL 10x42.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand your delema, and my solution was to buy the Kahles binos. Swaro glass, owned by Swaro, and non Swaro price. Every review out there has them right up there with the best of the best and Cdnn has the 8x30s for like $400. For that price, buy them and take them to the store for a side by side and you will be inpressed. Frankly for a plains game hunt I think the size is perfect not to small but not in the way. Good luck.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give some consideration to the Leica Geovids with the built in rangefinder. I have 10 power ELs and they stay in the safe since I got the Leicas.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote