Find
Notify
Tools

Redfield Bear Cub 26 mm tube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I want to know if the first Redfield Bear Cub with 26 mm tubes, pre-1" tube, after Kollmorgen sold them the scope division, have perma center reticles.

Thank you

PH

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my recollection that they do, but I'm not an expert on the subject. I owned a Kollmorgen several years ago and I'm alomst certain that it had a centered reticle.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Stonecreek,

I have just bought a near mint 4x Bear Cub 26 mm tube. For me the fixed power Stith-Kollmorgen-Redfield (both 26 mm and the early 1" tube) are one of the best USA made scopes of all times!

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes they were permanent centers

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you butchloc!

PH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kollmorgens (and perhaps the Stiths, also) were prone to the glue holding the internal lenses in place to melt (or perhaps vaporize) and leave a yellowish film on the lenses. I'm not sure if this is related to storage in an overly hot environment, of pehaps varied with the chemical composition of the glue. But you're correct that these scopes represented the state-of-the art in hunting optics in their day.

I had an old 3X Kollmorgen Bear Cub with the severly yellowed lenses and a 2 minute dot reticle mounted on an ancient Savage 99 .300. Despite the dinginess of the sight picture, the old gun would put three shots in a group that was somewhat smaller than the reticle's dot.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I currently have several Kollmorgen scopes (one or two of which are still on rifles). Most of mine have no internal adjustments at all, and those of mine that do have internal adjustments are definitely NOT perma-centered...which is why they are no longer on rifles of mine.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Yes, I have had a KM 4x32 Bear Cub and it had not a centered reticle! But I don´t know if the Redfield 26 mm Bear Cub changed this....
If any of you know for sure, I will appreciate the information!

Thank you again!!

PH