New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope selection FN Mauser Mannlicher 243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My FN Mauser Mannlicher Bishop stocked 243 Win has a 19.5" barrel. I don't know if that makes this a short range rifle in this chambering, but it may be a medium range rifle due to bullet weight and barrel length. I'm kind of assuming it isn't a long range rifle and should be scoped accordingly.

It currently has a 3X9 Weaver with I think a 40 MM objective on it. I've only fired 10 shots and none over 100 yards to make any conclusions of its long range ability.

The gun looks OK with a scope with this size on it, but I generally think Mannlichers are most suitable for small size scopes. A 1X-? with an objective near the size of the tube, like on DG rifles, may be underscoped for a 243. I've seen some Burris handgun scopes with a small belled objective that would be great size wise if offered in the correct magnification, eye relief, and variability for a 243.

Maybe a 4X or 6X M8 Leupold fixed would be nice and trim for this rifle.

I don't want any scope that looks modern since my rifle was likely built in the early 60's.

Opinions of scopes for short barrel Mannlichers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This very nice Husqvarna Mannlicher rifle has a scope similar to what I think looks right on these rifles. Although the Redfield has a large eyepiece and isn't very compact. I'd be quite hesitant to scope a Mannlicher that had open sights anyway. My rifle has not iron sights.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/94...d-redfield-scope.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first pick would be a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:

That sounds perfect. Is that a current model?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a scope that is both contemporaneous with your Mauser and has the right combination of size and magnification then look for an older Leupold 2-7 Vari-X II (not II-c). The older Vari-X II has a 28mm objective lens which makes it a bit more compact than the later ones with a 33mm objective. You can usually find one of these on eBay for $150 or so and Leupold will make it right if anything about it is not right (other than cosmetics, so select a nice one.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think a 2-7 variable would be most suitable. The real Mannlicher Schoenauers often finished up with little Kahles scopes like my 2.3-7 Helia Super, which often turn up on ebay. They are at least 40* years old and need to be mounted properly to keep the reticle centred but are tough as nails and have enormous fields of view.

* PS: make that 30 years, and the younger the better, one would expect.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Punk:
quote:

Current model would be VX3i. Excellent all around scope, great glass, compact, lightweight.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Current model would be VX3i. Excellent all around scope, great glass, compact, lightweight.

I agree that the Leupold 2.5-8x36 is one of the best balanced scopes available for a hunting rifle. But if having a scope that is contemporaneous with a 50 year-old Mauser is important then the Vari-X II 2-7 would be the closest choice.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you on a 4X or 6X, I prefer the 4X as its an all around power and will work fine under any circumstances for big game hunting.

If you favor a variable and feel uncomfortable with low power scopes the try a used 2x7x28 Leupold if you can find one, or one of the newer 1.5x5,s

On a nice trim rifle with a short barrel a big bulky scope are plum ugly and miss the utility of a compact. Also, your 19.5 inch barrel will not take a thing away from its ability to work at longer ranges or its killing power as compared to a 22 or even a 24 inch barrel, your losing probably 100 FPS at most and neither you or the deer will ever know the difference, in fact 2800 FPS might even give you better bullet performance than the usual 2900 to perhaps 3000 FPS.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Regrettably not available with illuminated reticle ...

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote