Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Vari XIIc 1-4x20 SHOTGUN
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted
I have just bought the above scope second hand in matte with a Heavy Plex reticle for mounting on my 9.3x62 project rifle.

I was wondering if the 'c' refered to the Leupold Custom Shop ?

I know leupold make a Vari X1 Shotgun scope with heavy plex reticle and parallax set at 75 yards.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember right the "c" stood for a later verison of the Vari-X II. I believe they did a slight upgrade and added the "c".

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It stands for neither "custom" nor (a very frequent misnomer on ebay) "compact". The original Vari-X was followed by the Vari-X II, then the Vari-X IIc. There were a number of manufacturing changes between the II and the IIc, but the scopes were kept essentially the same in terms of performance. (The biggest practical difference was expanding the adjustment range of the reticle due to a change in location within the tube.)

In the 3-9X, the objective bell shrank very slightly. In the 2-7X it grew from 28mm to 33mm. I don't think there ever was a Vari-X II in 1-4x, only a Vari-X IIc.

Your Vari-X IIc is essentially the same scope now sold as VX-I. Although Leupold markets the VX-I as an "entry" level scope, it is fully the equal of the scope that was regarded as the Caddilac of hunting scopes for decades, and I would venture to say that its lens coatings and manufacturing methods are actually superior.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your Vari-X IIc is essentially the same scope now sold as VX-I. Although Leupold markets the VX-I as an "entry" level scope, it is fully the equal of the scope that was regarded as the Caddilac of hunting scopes for decades, and I would venture to say that its lens coatings and manufacturing methods are actually superior.

WOW!!! You really are on a roll with this!!! Tooting leop(old) cheap ass scopes as being "superior" is a FAR STRETCH from the truth.

If you read the threads on this forum with an OPEN MIND,you will clearly (pun intended) see that leup(old) is a waning fad brand with a loyal audience,but no one that buys a scope for it's performance/price=value ratio is buying them anymore.

Don't worry stonedgeek,leup(old) loves you at least. moon

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Code4, I have a VX I 1-4 shotgun scope with heavy reticle. I put it on my Sako 375 H&H just to play with it and it has worked very well. I think I am going to keep it on there for now. I have other more expensive scopes, but for my eyes I have found that these work as well as scopes 2-3 thier price. I also have two of the VX I 2-7 and am very happy with them. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tooting leop(old) cheap ass scopes as being "superior" is a FAR STRETCH from the truth.

At the risk of mud wrestling with a hog, let me correct the mischaracterization of my post by Small Fish:

I stated that the manufacturing methods used in the Vari-X IIc and VX-I are likely superior to the manufacturing methods used in the original Vari-X, not that the VX-I is or is not "superior" to any other scope.

Anyone who's be around long enough to outgrow sucking his thumb will agree that the original Vari-X II was, in 1960s and 1970s, regarded as the "Cadillac" of hunting scopes. Many lines of high-quality optics have been introduced to the market since then. Just as there is now a wide range of scopes on the market, there is a wide range of opinions on them.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although Leupold markets the VX-I as an "entry" level scope, it is fully the equal of the scope that was regarded as the Caddilac of hunting scopes for decades, and I would venture to say that its lens coatings and manufacturing methods are actually superior.

If the lens coatings were (are) superior on leup(old) scopes,then you would have a point,but you don't. I have also quoted that the "Caddilac" of scopes is clearly not the "Cadillac" of scopes that you have taken to the holy grail.

You need to sell all of your scopes,get some better brands and continue this discussion.

I like how you belittle people who don't agree with your brand choice. I would suggest that you are a dittohead,and that is NOT GOOD.

jumping Big Grin jumping

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need a shower.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice edit job. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Small fish, I'm known to be a bit slow, but even I could see Stonecreek was only comparing Leupold scopes to Leupold scopes of various models.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, JAL, but this guy is hopeless. As I observed many, many posts ago, with small fish go equally small brains.

BTW, having had my shower and put on some fresh deoderant, I'm ready to mud wrestle some more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek....with all due respect to you, and none for small fish, the cadillac of scopes for me in the 60s, and 70s, AND 80s, was the Redfield. For many of us, the Denver made riflescopes had no equal back then, and few equals even today. An Ultimate Illuminater from the late 90s, with the 30mm tube, and the big objective, will take a back seat to NO scope made today; save for availibility and warranty. For acuity, brightness, eye relief, field of view, low light resolution, repeatability, durability, and resistance to recoil, Redfields are as good as there is....... And I include scopes from Japan, China, USA, Eastern Europe, and, yes, even those outrageously priced status symbols that are crafted by elves in the depths of the Black Forest. For example:
Around 1980 I needed a new scope for coon hunting. I wanted a 4 power, with a big, black post. It would have to have superior light gathering qualities, be tough as an anvil, and absolutely hold zero. I looked at every scope brand possible. I chose a new Redfield-Widefield. I paid for that scope in one very good night's hunting. I still have that old Redfield. It resides attop one of my pre-64 Model 70s; a 358. And woe betide the whitetail buck that finds himself standing astride that big post............
The "greenies" bankrupted Redfield; to the detriment of all shooters. But we are still gifted with another great riflescope dynasty; Leupold.........
Oh! And small fish; why don't you just sign off, and swim away............Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldmodel70:
Stonecreek....with all due respect to you, and none for small fish, the cadillac of scopes for me in the 60s, and 70s, AND 80s, was the Redfield. For many of us, the Denver made riflescopes had no equal back then, and few equals even today. An Ultimate Illuminater from the late 90s, with the 30mm tube, and the big objective, will take a back seat to NO scope made today; save for availibility and warranty. For acuity, brightness, eye relief, field of view, low light resolution, repeatability, durability, and resistance to recoil, Redfields are as good as there is....... And I include scopes from Japan, China, USA, Eastern Europe, and, yes, even those outrageously priced status symbols that are crafted by elves in the depths of the Black Forest. For example:
Around 1980 I needed a new scope for coon hunting. I wanted a 4 power, with a big, black post. It would have to have superior light gathering qualities, be tough as an anvil, and absolutely hold zero. I looked at every scope brand possible. I chose a new Redfield-Widefield. I paid for that scope in one very good night's hunting. I still have that old Redfield. It resides attop one of my pre-64 Model 70s; a 358. And woe betide the whitetail buck that finds himself standing astride that big post............
The "greenies" bankrupted Redfield; to the detriment of all shooters. But we are still gifted with another great riflescope dynasty; Leupold.........
Oh! And small fish; why don't you just sign off, and swim away............Grant.

Maybe because I live in a free country and I'm not ignorant. dancing

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek and Dr Lou, thank you for your informative replies.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe because I live in a free country and I'm not ignorant. dancing

That is certainly debatable... Roll Eyes

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OldModel70:

I won't disagree with you in that the old Denver Redfields certainly were regarded as top-of-the-line, at least through the 1960s. If you'll look at the old catalogs, Redfields commanded about a $10 premium, scope for scope, over Leupolds. By the late 1960s and increasingly through the 70's, opinions started to shift and Leupold overtook Redfield in the "court of popular opinion". I won't argue the merits of the two scopes, both of which were very good, but by the 1970s Leupold had gained the upper hand in reputation.

I definatetly like the old Denver Redfields and have a 6-18 on an HB .22-250. The Redfields were a little longer and heavier than the Leupolds, and eye placement was perhaps a tad less forgiving. Probably the big issue with many hunters was fogging, although I've never personally seen a Redfield fog (living in hot, dry Texas, I've hardly ever seen fogging of any kind).

At any rate, I wouldn't challenge you on your assertion that the old Redfields were highly regarded.