Notify
Tools

Scope for 17 HMR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
Looking for a scope for my son's 17hmr
Has anybody got experience of Burris full fullfield 3-9x40 with illuminated LRS retile

2 part to my question

I know Burris is not z6 money and quality

Any real life bad experience from hunters here

LRS reticle is it very thick

I have been on their web site and as far as I can see it covers .31 inch at 100 at 9 powder

thanks

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't be my choice. the little 17 is really an accurate round for small targets. i'd prefer a bit more magnification on the high end and much much smaller reticle.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's overkill, but my CZ 453, 17HMR is topped with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 LR with a CDS elevation turret, and fine duplex reticle. To me, it's "the cat's jammies". dancing

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Ben, it depends on what the lad will use it for.

If he is only going to shoot targets in daylight, it doesn't really matter, anything variable up to say 14x or 16x. You don't need fancy reticules etc as the HMR is pretty flat out past 125 yards.

If he is going to lamp or hunt with it, I would put a decent fixed power scope on. I have a 7x50 Meopta on mine and it is perfect for rabbits etc at night. An 8x might be better. I would put a S&B 10x42 on if I could find one second hand.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I use a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 with a mil-dot reticle on my .17HMR. Works great for those tiny targets. Nikons are a good value too.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, that's exactly what's on the CZ .17 I bought for my son in anticipation of a trip to the Selous. Turned out he didn't go and the rifle has had very little use, but I like the combination. The CZ needs a trigger job, though.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have had a Weaver 4-16x on my .17HMR for a few years now. Provides excellent use on prairie dogs. Several friends have mounted 4.5-14x scopes on their rifles. We would all agree that 3-9x is restrictive, expecially since two of them had the 3-9x on their rifles as part of a package deal.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the cheap Pentax Gameseeker 4x12x40 on my CZ and it is a squirrel killing machine. Doug at Cameraland had the twin of the Burris FF2 the Penatx Pioneer on sale - I put that on a knock around Savage 243 and it would work nicely on a 17 but does seem a little out of scale for the rifle. The Burris Shortmag scope at 4.5-14X32 would be a nice little scope on top of a 17 HMR.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Have had a Weaver 4-16x on my .17HMR for a few years now. Provides excellent use on prairie dogs. Several friends have mounted 4.5-14x scopes on their rifles. We would all agree that 3-9x is restrictive, expecially since two of them had the 3-9x on their rifles as part of a package deal.

The 4 x 16 Weaver with a Target dot or fine cross hairs would be my choice also... I have a Weraver 6 x 24 version of it, on my Ruger 77/17 Heavy Barrel model...

For my Marlin heavy barrel, I have the Redfield 4 x 12 with the circle X reticle, which is also a good scope for hitting small running targets like Sage Rats...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the 4-16 Weaver. Fine cross hairs are a plus with this cartridge when I shoot gophers. The optics are pretty good, and it's cost effective.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
+1 on the weaver classix V 4x14x40AO wuith fine CH. Sits on my Ruger 77/17.

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote