New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-6 Have Me Confused ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to buy a new scope of looking at the specs of the Leupold VX-6 line of scopes I was impressed with the FOV/s listed in the SWFA (and other) web-sites --- 223-19+ for the 1-6x24 and 112-20 for the 2-12x42.

But then I wanted a better look at the illuminated reticles so I went to the Leupold web-site and found different figures for the FOV's.

Instead of 223-39 for the 1-6x24, Leupold shows 116-19 and for the 2-12x42 Leupold shows 57-10 rather than 112-20.

Leupold's FOV's are just about half of what internet stores are listing - what's going on?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Leupold's are the correct figures, with the others being optically impossible

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing that's strange is SWFA, Optic's Planet, Bear Basin and every other site I checked are reporting the same values for FOV down to the decimal point for the VX-6 scopes,

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:

Yes, I can't believe the first figures cited in Bill's post.

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I just had an email back off Kody Petty at SWFA saying to go by the figures on Leupold's site.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
Well, not impossible with an eye relief of next to zero. But certainly impossible with the eye relief necessary for an optical gunsight.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I do not have the Ill Reticle in my VX6 2-12x42, just the plex. If you're at all interested, when I get home I can check and see what the specs are in the manual and report back here with them. I will say, and I've spent time behind most of the high end stuff, is that the VX6 is by far the most user friendly variable I've ever used, especially at higher mags. The glass is every bit as good as a SwaroA (Z3), and it knocks on the door of the truly upper end stuff. I've only about 300 rounds down the tube so far, on a 7mag, but with the CDS dial, on a calm day, it's almost like cheating. All adjustments have been accurate and repeatable out to 900, back to 100, and everywhere in between. I'm very pleased.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have a Leupold catalog that has the big numbers. This was when the VX6 came out and I questioned the numbers over a year ago.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
... I've only about 300 rounds down the tube so far, on a 7mag ...

Only 300 rounds? That sounds like a hell of a test on a recent product to me - but I wouldn't want to buy your barrel unless you got to the range every day and spent minutes letting it cool between shots.

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote