New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Basically I am looking for a comparison of these scopes. If anyone has used all or a few of these I am interested in what you may have to say.

Leupold VX-II 4-12x 40mm AO
Nikon Monarch 3-12x 42mm SF
Bushnell 4200 4-16x 40mm AO

This scope is going to be mounted on a Kimber 8400 300WSM used for whitetails on down to groundhogs and crows. The prices of these scopes are in the same vicinity so it is not in my decision making process. Also, if somebody has a better suggestion in the $400-500 range please let me know.

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Of the three scopes you've listed I only own the Leupold VX-II 4-12x40. It is on pretty specilaized Heavy Barreled Target Rifle in .222 Remington. For it's purpose it is an outstanding optical sight with the corresponding thin (fine) target recticle. I cannot comment on the Nikon or the Bushnell although IIRC from what I've read here lately the Nikon appears to be preferred.

For a Whitetail rifle in dawn, twilight & potential rough going I'd select another scope and another recticle (can be ordered otherwise) primarily due to the AO. I don't prefer AO's on equipemnt that may be subjected to the rigors of serious hunting because it's something else to go amiss - opinions vary. Also that at distance(s) it is something else you have to fiddle with to get proper focus. Sometimes you've got this luxery - sometimes not.

For Crows & Groundhogs it would not be a bad choice since these activities don't NORMALLY oocur in poor light nor in situations where quick shots are required and usually a rifle doesn't have to withstand much rigor to get to such a venue.

Unless there is another reason for this much magnification for Deer Hunting - I'd select a 3.5-10 or 3-9 without AO.

Just my $0.02.

Have fun making your selction.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I use fixed power scopes on all my dedicated whitetail rifles for the reason Gerry just mentioned.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 4-16 4200. Great scope. Id get it or the Nikon over a VX-II

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris FFII 4.5-14 on my 300WSM. It has been in use for two seasons now and works great. I have the same scope on several of my predator calling guns too. One of my Swifts has had this scope on it for about 8 years now.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry is right that a high-powered variable with an adjustable objective can be something of a handicap on a whitetail rifle. Besides, such a bulky scope totally negates the slim, light, and compact nature of your Kimber. A "more normal" 3-9X, or even a slightly lower "mid power" variable with a plain objective would serve you better.

I'll assure you, you will never come across a whitetail within rifle range that you cannot see well enough to shoot accurately when magnified "only" 4 to 6 times.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input guys. I actually have a VX-II 3-9 40mm on the rifle right now that I want to swap to a rem 700. I completely agree with you fellas about the AO and power variability. I never even changed my leupy from 3 power while whitetail hunting. However I know that I can leave the new scope at 4 power and the parallax set in its lowest position for whitetail hunting. There will never be a time when I have to increase power or parallax. So, I was looking for the extra magnification to address my critter issues which can reach out to 500 yds or a little more. The 3-9 wasn't quite enough.

Sorry to make it so confusing, just lokin' for some quality optics...you know how it is

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a 3.5-10 Conquest on my 300 WM and a 4.5-14 Conquest on both my 7mmRM and my 264 WM. These are my long range rifles...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification, David. You can put a 4-12 VX-II without AO on your rifle and it will be virtually identical in size to the 3-9 your shifting off to another rifle.

As a current Leupold user, let me give you a piece of advice that may be valuable to you: If you should try switching to one of the other brands of scopes, and I'm sure they have excellent optics, ask your dealer for the option of returning it to exchange on another scope after a brief inspection period in which you can mount it on your rifle and try it at the range. Shoot a few shots offhand at a deer-sized target. If you are happy with it, keep it. If not, you'll understand why and no further explanation will be necessary.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I rate them:

Monarch
VX2

All descent scopes.

I prefer the conquest, but it is alittle more pricey.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, if I could afford a Conquest we wouldn't even be having this conversation lol.

Stone, you bring up an excellent point about the non AO leupold and also the trial.

Thanks again.