THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NightForce Mounts...Whats the difference?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While viewing the NightForce components for my next build I ran across two unimounts. Both have 20 MOA, but one is 1.125" the other is 1.375". Haven't been able to figure out if the OAL is different or the ring locations. Would one work better than the other for a particular scope/mount/rifle combination? Does one allow the scope to be mounted differently for maximum eye relief? My combination is 5.5-22x56 NXS on a Rem 700 300RUM for the record.

Thoughts?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

The ring height is the different. The 1.375" are .25" higher.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon!! With the 56mm Objective what are your thoughts on ring height? Will I need the 1.375"?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3.5 x 15 x 56 on a SWS railed AR-10 and I had to go with Extra High. I'm running a VLTOR collaps stock with cheek riser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my NightForce, 3x15x56 mounted on a Remington 700, 300 wsm. I have a Badger picatinny rail and medium NF ultralight rings. I didn't measure the distance between the scope and the barrel, but there is ample space and no problems with eye relief. I don't know if this helps, since you are looking at a different set up. The rail gives you more options than regular bases to help with eye relief. I later changed the rings to Badger max 50 rings to prevent scope movement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thought, NightForce would tell you to anchor your bases. This is due to the heavy weight of NF scopes and higher recoil firearms tend to cause scopes to move in the rings. They say that any minor movement such as the base will likely cause the scope to move in the rings. I anchored my rail using JB weld. That was their recommendation. That is also why I changed to the max 50 rings. They are 1" as opposed to 3/4" of normal rings. That gives you more surface contact with the scope. However, I will warn you that Badger stuff ain't cheap. The rings are around $169.00. I have found their stuff to be the best I have ever used, but other cheaper stuff will work. I believe Ken Pratt is the person I talked to at NF. That was several years ago.