Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for 30-378
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted
Need to get a new scope for my Weatherby Mark V Stainless 30-378 mag.What would be a good all around choice?I hunt with it here in Bama in thick swamps where it get`s dark in a hurry at dusk,On power line right of ways where a fairly long shot is possible.I hope to take it elk hunting in Idaho with my brother some day,If I can catch him at home.I have a Leupold Vari-X 3 1.75x6x32 on it now but I`m putting that scope on my Browning Stainless BLR 270 WSM.So I need some suggestions on what might work best in most hunting conditions.Thanks AMRA

Posts: 84 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
I just put a Vx11 2-7x33 on my 340Wby(Wby Accumark),perfect.
Ring spacing worked out perfectly,long eye relief,sits very low with Leupold QR bases & low rings.Great for close in as well as long shots.

Glass clarity/quality is all you'll need(Dusk & Dawn),& at a great price.

This scope IMO is very underrated Wink

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
IMO eye relief should probably be your top priority. Looks like Leupy will be the ticket.

OTOH, Your rifle is probably breaked?

If so, there are many good scopes to choose from.

Nikon, Zeiss, Leupy, etc... all pretty good in low light.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, Reloader,yes it does have the factory Accubrake on it,I shot it ONCE without it on and it rattled my fillings!But with the brake it is alot nicer to shoot,just be sure to wear some hearing protection.
340 WBY, How does your VX11 Compare to the old Leupold VARI-X 111 as far as lens coating,strength,quality? AMRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
AMRA, I sat and thought about your delima for a minute and have a way off the wall idea for you.

You have a rifle that is capable of some long range shooting. However, you are hunting in the south where the shots may not be that long and light is an issue.

I would consider one of the new Leupold VX-L scopes in 3.5 X 10. This is that new Leupold with the screwy looking front lense. It is shaped so that you can mount it really low.

You can mount a 50mm scope as low as a regular 36mm scope. You could get a 3.5X50 with the Boone and Crockett reticle and be all set.

With the 50mm lense you would be all set for low light shooting at dusk at home.

With the 3.5X10 with the Boone and Crockett reticle you would be all set for long range elk hunting.

Seems like the only answer to me.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
Mr. Flowers,Thanks for your response,I had not thought of the new Leupy scope with the funky front lense but that could work,One question though,Would the Boone and Crockett reticle match the ballistics of my 30-378? I shoot the Weatherby factory 200 grain Nosler Partition load which is about 3140 fps.It will shoot 1/2 in. to 3/4in. groups at 100 yds with this load every time if I do my part right.But it will not shoot the 180 grain X- bullet factory any good at all.But every gun is different in what it likes and doesn`t like. Thanks AMRA