New
Find
Notify
Tools

Z6 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello! I am looking for a new scope for my M70 416 rem mag. I was reading about Z6 1-6x24 EE zoom. What is "zoom"? How is it different than my leupold 1.5-5x24? Is it just another way to say variable power, or is it something new? Thanks for the help. Gary

Posts: 465 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Zoom just means variable, in this case anyway. The Swaro has a true one power setting, which greatly facilitates shooting with both eyes open. I personally don't think the EE model is better than the basic model, which already has sufficient eye relief. You sacrifice field of view with the EE model. It is one of the best scopes out there, but it is larger and heavier than the Leupold.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Zoom just means variable, in this case anyway. The Swaro has true a true one power setting, which greatly facilitates shooting with both eyes open. I personally don't think the EE model is better than the basic model, which already has sufficient eye relief. You sacrifice field of view with the EE model. It is one of the best scopes out there, but it is larger and heavier than the Leupold.

How much heavier is the Z-6 than the Leupold?

Thanks,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The respective web sites say the Leupold 1.5-5 weighs 9.5 ounces and the Swaro 1-6 weighs 14.8 ounces. While they may have pretty much the same intended use, weight alone may be a limited criterion for choosing one over the other. The Leupy is a one inch tube, the Swaro is a 30mm. The lighter scope has a 3.3x variable range, the heavier scope a 6x variable range. The lighter scope has about half the field of view of the heavier scope at each scope's widest setting.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
The respective web sites say the Leupold 1.5-5 weighs 9.5 ounces and the Swaro 1-6 weighs 14.8 ounces. While they may have pretty much the same intended use, weight alone may be a limited criterion for choosing one over the other. The Leupy is a one inch tube, the Swaro is a 30mm. The lighter scope has a 3.3x variable range, the heavier scope a 6x variable range. The lighter scope has about half the field of view of the heavier scope at each scope's widest setting.

Thanks,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

If you are thinking Swarovski, also have a look at their rail mount system.

I have 2 now, and much prefer it over rings, as it is so easy to move the scope forward or backwards to get just the right eye.

In some rifles I own the turrets of the scope prevent me from getting it exactly where I want it in rings.

You might not need the EE with the rail mount.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to the rail mount system, is there a two piece base that would work for a winchester?

Posts: 465 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Yes there is. If your local gunsmith doesn't have the information then I suggest you contact New England Custom Guns(NECG) for styles, prices and availability in the USA, since they are probably exported from Europe by Recknagel. Of course a Swarovski dealer should also be able to get the information to you.

Bt the way, the 404 Jeffery that new_guy had made by Stuart Satterlee wears the same scope with rail mounts in a claw mount base for rapid on-offs. You might want to take a look at the Satterlee web site or contact new_guy here on AR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As for the bases for the Z6 rail-mount, there are several.

The easiest to use are standard Weaver bases, which are cheap for your Model 70.
I prefer the Warne bases (again in the Weaver configuration) as I like the steel that they are made from, and they take rust bluing and color case hardening well.

There are also Ruger bases, and some oddball German bases that look very close to Talley bases (but they won't fit Talley's).

Go with the Weaver style...it's the easiest.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
You may have a look for a good scope mount also here:
www.titanium-gunworks.de ->"Montagen"

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just compare the FOV with you leupold to the Swarovski and you will notice that the Swarovksi have about the duoble.
When you later compare the picture you will notice that the leupold feels like 17th century.

Regards StenGun

Posts: 21 | Location: Europe | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Swarovski rail mount.

I have one, although not on a Z6, and am extremely pleased.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Z6i and I really love it. Don't get the EE, unless you plan to mount it quite far away from your eye.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a Z6 mounted on a light high recoil rifle? I've been thinking of putting one on a light weight 375 HH. I'm concerned about the amount of eye relief. I think the spec is 3.75 inches. Any experience would be appreciated.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have the "old" PV-N 3-12x50 on my .375H&H and shooting 300 rounds heavy loaded with 300grains bullets and so far it works just great. Recoil was only hit my eyes 2-3 times on the bench, never when hunting... But the good thing on nthe old PV-N is that it had a "damper" so my glases did not break...

www.titanium-gunworks.de

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by studdog:
Does anyone have a Z6 mounted on a light high recoil rifle? I've been thinking of putting one on a light weight 375 HH. I'm concerned about the amount of eye relief. I think the spec is 3.75 inches. Any experience would be appreciated.

I have a Swarovski Z6 1-6X24 on a 375 that previously wore a 1.25-4X24 swaro. The Z6 has yet to contact my brow from the bench, whereas the old scope routinely did (thank God for the cushioned ocular ring). Neither scope has ever bitten me in extensive field use or practice away from the bench. Both have awesome glass, Z6 slightly better, WAY better than a Leupold.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both have awesome glass, Z6 slightly better, WAY better than a Leupold.

Have you compared the Z-6 with Leupold's VX-7 1.5-6X scope?

Don

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Both have awesome glass, Z6 slightly better, WAY better than a Leupold.

Have you compared the Z-6 with Leupold's VX-7 1.5-6X scope?

Don

I have the statement from a big American gun delaer:

He has compared The Swarovski´s against the Leupold, S&B and Zeiss. The Leupold, Zeiss and S&B he could buy as a dealer fo the wholesale price. The Swarovski he must buy himself for regular price and ask him what he is doing? Selling all his Leupold´s and buying himself Swarovski´s - at least for all the "hunting guns"... and only Swarovski on rails...

Doesn´t this say enough about the quality???

www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Z6i is installed on a Blaser S2 double rifle in 9,3x74R. The recoil will probably be comparable to your rifle, and I haven't had any issues with eye relief.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
studdog,
you must be smokin" crack. 3.75" is all the eye relief you could EVER need!

love ya,

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I have the z6 EE on my 458 lott. The extra inch of eye relief takes the worries away from me.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote