New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sightron scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to try a Sightron scope and I have it narrowed down to either a 4x16 or 6.5x20 in there Sll Big Sky series. I have never used a scope higher than 14x before and am wondering if I should choose the 6.5x20 instead?
Scope will be going on a Rem .223 that will see occasional use in the field but will mostly be used from the bench.
Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe i'd go to the 65x20, my sightrons are pretty good optics and spotting holes in the paper at say 200 with the 20 is easy, probably see them with 16 too, but a bit harder

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually made a mistake. The SII is offered in 6.5x20. The Big Sky series offers a 6.5x24.
Originally I ordered the 4x16 from Opticzone but after reading some posts here and other places I immediately emailed them asking the order be changed to the 6x24x42 Big Sky Matte dot scope.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

I have a smaller Sightron on a very accurate 22. Good optics and seems very solid in construction.

I hope you get a few more responses from folks up your way. Can't imagine you live in the "banana belt". Hot/cold rapid changes might create fogging problems. We get some stupid cold weather here in the UP, but I haven't had the scope out in that weather.

I have the thin wire reticle (not the duplex) and only use it in good light.

Hope you get a few more responses. Good luck!!

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With 20X I can easily see the 223 holes at 100y.
With 32X I can easily see the 223 holes at 200Y.
That is nice at the range, but not for hunting.

Lately, I have been using scopes on a power that allows me to see hits and misses. I shot a deer at 500 yards in November with a 2x7 on 2X.

I have, in the past, shot rodents with high power scopes that had such small field of view, the carcass was launched out of sight.

I am trying to kick the high magnification habit. It is great for the range, but not for animals.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote