Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with cheap scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
The thread on "what to do with old scopes" got me thinking about all the crap I have in my parts boxes.. I'm sure we all have a few odd take-off or junk scopes on our bench or in our parts box, so here is my thoughts.

I recently bought a Savage 17 HMR for giggles because it was real cheap... It came with what I consider a POS 1" Bushnell rimfire scope. Although clear enough, and it seemed to hold zero, I didn't like the adjustments so I replaced it with a Vortex.(cost more than the rifle LOL)

what I plan to do with the "take-off" is I'll just put it in my range box, and when I see a younger shooter on the smallbore range without a scope, or with one of those POS 3/4" Chinese gar'bage k-mart scopes, I'll just gift it to him or her.

Doin my part to keep the sport alive.....

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Frank

I dug out a Weaver external adj. 3x9 . It's got a faint scuff on the eyepiece. crosshairs are doubled so they create 4 squares in the center.

Nice steel scope but tough to change the power. I may pop it into a set of kurharski rings and try it on the p64 257.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Cross hairs doubled in both directions, rich? I know Elmer Keith helped them develop the double horizontals but four squares in the centre suggests they are both tripled. B&L-type mounts are a great idea IMHO but they only exist for old rifle models.

Posts: 5014 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the past 35 years I have encountered several scopes which were adequate tire chocks and tent pegs.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, cheap fixed power scopes are fairly dependable and usable, particularly for something like a rimfire or a knock about "truck gun".

Introducing the variable mechanism into a cheap scope brings with it a plethora of potential problems with shifting zero, poor focus, and moisture leakage. A cheap variable makes a great gift to a kid to play with as a telescope or, for older and inquisitive ones, to disassemble to learn how telescopes work.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Generally speaking, cheap fixed power scopes are fairly dependable and usable, particularly for something like a rimfire or a knock about "truck gun".

Introducing the variable mechanism into a cheap scope brings with it a plethora of potential problems with shifting zero, poor focus, and moisture leakage. A cheap variable makes a great gift to a kid to play with as a telescope or, for older and inquisitive ones, to disassemble to learn how telescopes work.

Yes, well put! If any readers in Australia have an old scope with a constantly centred reticle, which rattles but is not covered by a hide-the-evidence warranty, I'd be glad to buy it for a reasonable sum.

Posts: 5014 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price them cheap here or on eBay. Someone will buy any "deal"

Posts: 10268 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote