Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage Weatherby Imperial scope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I have been given a 2-7X variable Weatherby Imperial scope by a very generous member of this forum.
I see by a 1958 Weatherby catalog page that they were very proud of their "dual dial" elevation and windage adjustment system.
Does anyone here have experience with these neat scopes that were made in Germany?

fullsizeoutput_121e by ComeWatson, on Flickr

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16652 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bill, the scope, made by Hertel & Reuss in Kassel, Germany, should be basically sound and better than most of what was coming out of America by the late 1960s. However, the dual zero adjustment dials were a dumb idea because, left untouched for any time, they can stick together. After that, move the elevation and the windage goes, too.

I've bought two of them on the internet, on one the dials are good but the other scope's have siezed.

So, if yours move separately, you may have a good, strong scope. It will need to be mounted properly, though - usually to bore sight with the reticle centred at 7x, meaning you may need mounts with lateral adjustments and possibly a shim. Then, move the dials once every year or two, even though zero has not moved, just to keep them moving.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. My "dual dials" are not seized, so I hope I can get it sighted in. With the Weaver mount, shimming will involve slips of aluminum beverage can if needed.
Probably be a terrible idea to try to lube those dials, but there might be something out there that would not damage the internals.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16652 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If the dials move, Bill, don't lube because it sometimes gets inside. Just move the elevation up and back every year. I think the seizing up may be a consequence of using brass as a metal that does not need lubricating. Trouble is it eventually gets verdigris and this may be what gunks it up.

Has yours got the rubber eyepiece? I think it was introduced to avoid Weatherby eyebrows (possibly before Swarovski) but does add a bit of tunnel vision. The optical quality in Hertel & Reuss Nickel Supras may not have been quite as good as the original Marburg scopes but their field blending remained much the same - except when they added rubber eyepieces.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
No rubber eyepiece, Paul, but this scope is mounted on a .50 percussion double rifle. Will see how she shoots when my loading supplies arrive.
fullsizeoutput_1224 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Looks good - kinda steampunk. Smiler