THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    mounting a 25mm scope in Burris Signature 30mm rings

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mounting a 25mm scope in Burris Signature 30mm rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
The Kimber I bought has 30mm Burris Signature Rings, however my scope is one of the new Burris Fullfield E1's and it is a 25mm tube.

The guy at the gunshop advised me that by using thicker burris inserts it would still be satisfactory to mount the scope.

What are the opinions on the board?

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get Burris inserts of various dimensions (e.g. to compensate for lack of elevation adjustment for long range shooting), but I'm unaware of a Burris insert allowing you to mount a 1" scope in 30 mm rings.

Brownells offers inserts for 30mm - 25.4 mm reduction,

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...Product/RING_INSERTS

But I doubt they would work with the Burris Signature rings, unless you were willing to place one insert inside the other.

All in all, what your gunshop employee suggested might be possible, but it sounds like a hack to me. Why not simply get a set of 1" (Burris Signature) rings and mount the scope as it is supposed to be mounted?? The extra cost of new rings will be easily covered by savings in ammo and frustration trying to deal with a cobbled up mounting arrangement. Just MHO...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'll admit I was probably a little dubious about his suggestion as well. I mentioned it to a good friend of mine and he advised me that it was not generally a good practice and that he can get me 25mm rings at cost pricing.

The guy at the gun shop is actually a pretty nice bloke really, however I think I'd sooner play safe and order some 25mm rings.

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd get the new rings.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote