Find
Notify
Tools

More than 4" eye relief?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I know there are several makes of low fixed power scopes out there which offer more than 4" of eye relief. Unfortunately, I can't remember their brand names or model designations.

Can anyone advise which scopes of 1.5X to 3X have eye relief of no less than 4.0" to no more than 6.0"?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 2.5x Ultralight has about 4 inches of eye relief, but the short tube limits your mounting options.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Nikon scopes, especially the slug gun scopes have 5" of eye relief. 416Tanzan and Michael458 have some experience with them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold's spec sheet shows "nominal" eye relief for its 1-4X VX-II at 3.8" on high power and 4.2" on low power. These measurements are to the mid-point of the non-critical eye relief and in my experience I've found that with eye placement as far 5" you still see the full sight picture.

My understanding is that the "updated" M-8 3X fixed power scope is once again available through the Leupold custom shop. This fine old scope has a very forgiving eye relief which would probably stretch to a bit more than 5" (if they're still making it to the same specs as the former ones.)

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Esskay and Stonecreek (and Kurt C) You guys are some of the most helpful folks on these boards.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good information indeed! Thanks.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I just got a Swarovski Z6 EER scope. When I saw EER I thought pistol or scout scope; but it is really just an extra inch of eye clearance making it perfect for a hard kicking gun.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I just got a Swarovski Z6 EE scope...perfect for a hard kicking gun.

Have one on my .505 Gibbs; great eye-relief!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess a person has to be careful with those initials--EER--must mean extended eye relief. Leupold makes an EFR which is extended Focal range which means it can be focused to a closer distance and therefore a fine choice for an air rifle.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I just got a Swarovski Z6 EER scope. When I saw EER I thought pistol or scout scope; but it is really just an extra inch of eye clearance making it perfect for a hard kicking gun.

+1

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote