New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope condensation...remedies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is an "every morning" event with me and I am about sick to death of it after 49 years: My scopes fog (externally, not internally) every morning when I am out, no matter what. A typical morning was experienced today: 32 degres outside. Scope is OK until that first warm-up of the morning, usually about 30 minutes after sunrise..then I can't keep the condensation off the lenses no matter what I do. Lens pens, windex type sprays, etc won't cut it. This is regardless of the make of the scope, Leupold, Schmidt, Swaro..you name it. My scope this AM had condensation form when the 32 degree temps rose to right at 38, then it happened. I have a thermometer on my jacket. The problem seems worse, the larger the diameter of the objective lens.

I have tried all the usual tricks: Keep the rifle in the cold truck the night before so there is no temperature difference when you get to your stand, etc. Heck, I even leave it outside on the back porch and it still does it!

I have tried some of the no fog sprays, etc, but they seem to leave a film on the lenses that limits their usual sharp focus. I have heard some good things about a product called Ops Drops but have not ordered any, as all the other stuff was not that good.

If anyone can give me a good solution to this I will write you into my will.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the screw in lens caps from Leupold? The make a rain one which may help. Wouldn't surprise me if they made an anti fog one.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
A set of Butler Creek lens caps might help?

Flick them open at the last second.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How close do you keep the scope to your body while hunting? I've noticed that my scopes will fog from my body heat if I lay the rifle across my lap with the scope turned towards my body. If I flip it over or set it somewhere else instead of holding it, it doesn't seem to fog.

posted Hide Post
We sometimes tape a couple of the little 'charcoal' handwarmers to our 'scopes for those days when even a quick peek mists the outer lenses up.
HTH
Colm

Posts: 14 | Location: uk | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hank,

I'm with boltman & rough on this issue. Simply because you don't say exactly how this phenomenon occurs.

From my expereince it's a matter of technique. controlled breathing, avoid holding the scope next to warmer parts of the body, especially the face, etc., as all can cause condensation on the focal lens.

I get the same from my bino which is used alot more that the rifle scope anyway. I lay them away from me when in the High Seat, control breathing, attempt to use them sparingly and carry a Zeiss lens cloth (the absolute supreme lens cloth - and I've used them all) for those quick fixes when required.

When I sit for hours in the winter in a High Seat also use a balaclava (O.K. I look like some kinda Ninja or Terrorist) but it helps "insulate" the bino/scope mounting as best I can also.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry and Boltman...yeah, I know what you are referring to, as that has happened to me as well. Nope, that is not what I am talking about. This morning I hunted one of my box stands...high 30's for temps....gun in truck all night long, so it was high 30's as well, if you know what I mean. 6 AM...sitting in one of my box stands with the rifle propped up...so far so good. 7:00 AM still Ok, but now the "warm up" is happening. My rifle and scope that had a temperature of 40 degrees or so, now is sitting in air that is heating up to 45 degrees...you can tell the moment the warm up occurs, as condensation instantly forms on the rifle, deer stand, etc...anything that was cold and now is warming up. As soon as the condensation forms on the rifle and scope (binoculars too), look out, the lens are fogged as well. I bring a tissue with me to constantly wipe the lens down every two minutes or so. As soon as the temparature equalizes between the scope and the ambient air temperatures, then the condensation burns off. This is just a royal pain in the butt and will cost me a good buck one day.

Condensation will form at anytime the air temp is drastically different from the scope's interior...I am just trying to find a way to defeat that phenomenon. Afternoons, obviously, are not a problem as everything sort of cools down at the same rate. Perhaps it is because in South GA, we are humid 24/7/365 and that probably is a contributing factor.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote