Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointed in Warne scope mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I purchased these last year for both my Ruger 77 and a Winchester mod 70. I loved them at first seemed very solid. However, this year I am trying some new loads and both rings have had the screws shear while firing the rifles. I first thought it was a freak accident on my Win in 338-06 one screw sheared then today both top screws on my M77R sheared with the first shot. I had previously contacted Warne and they were very quick to send replacement screws but on the M77R rings it will be impossible to remove the broken screws. I am reporting this as I hope it never happens to someone one a hunt. I could have over torqued them but I have mounted many scopes before and never had this happen with any other rings. What are your thoughts on this have you had it happen to you???

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I use Warne rings (standard -- not the quick-detach) on several rifles and Contender and Encore pistols and have never had a problem of any sort. They're among my favorite.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9398 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Warnes on a couple dozen rifles and have never had a problem. They are my favorite Weaver style rings and bases.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I called Warne they said to send the rings back and they would replace them free. I asked about the torque 25 in/lb is recommended but she said if they made a pop sound when they were unscrewed they were too tight. Which is exactly they sound mine made. I'm going to get a torque wrench.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, Warne rings are not what they once were. The older Premier line were great and looked good to boot. The new ones are overly sized poorly shaped hunks of sintered steel. I think Warne made a decision which may improve their bottom line, but they lost my business. I'll have a pair of Talley's please.

On a positive note, the new ones work pretty well with reasonable return to zero, but are but ugly.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WESR:
In my opinion, Warne rings are not what they once were. The older Premier line were great and looked good to boot. The new ones are overly sized poorly shaped hunks of sintered steel. I think Warne made a decision which may improve their bottom line, but they lost my business. I'll have a pair of Talley's please.

On a positive note, the new ones work pretty well with reasonable return to zero, but are but ugly.

You are correct Sir! thumb

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have switched to Talbot mounts.. In my opinion they are the way to go...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new ones are overly sized poorly shaped hunks of sintered steel.

when you see a steel ring that looks like it has been powder coated..as in black paint an alarm should go off in your head.
Think MIM - metal injection molded.....

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My early Warne were great. I'm not sure if they have always been cast or not.

I have not found a better ring for the Ruger's over the factory ring.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
quote:
The new ones are overly sized poorly shaped hunks of sintered steel.

when you see a steel ring that looks like it has been powder coated..as in black paint an alarm should go off in your head.
Think MIM - metal injection molded.....

I think this is good intel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I have switched to Talbot mounts.. In my opinion they are the way to go...

Mike

What are Talbot mounts, and where do you get them?

posted Hide Post
I have ruined two scopes using Warn rings, They pinched a crease in the top of the scope tube. I must admit I did go to 40inch pounds on both guns.

posted Hide Post
I want to add my 2 cents of bad experience with Warne rings. I purchased pair for my CZ in 9.3x62. After about 30 rounds part of the tonque that engage in CZ receiver cutout sheered almost completely off. They were very nice and sent me two more paires to try but all of them suffered the same way. Finaly I just gave up on them and ordered Talleys. Unfortunately Talley does not make rings for Ruger. I need QD rings for my Ruger Hawkeye in 375. Anyone have suggestion for alternative? I Will not even consider Warne for this rifle and caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me the Leupold Ruger rings are the cats meow.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote