Tools

Rifle scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK. Let's assume you are richer than Bill
Gates and can't spend more money than you make
even if you tried.

You have a standard sized action in 30-06 and want a scope built to your specs with the features you want. What would they be?

Go ahead, be anal. You're wealthy enough
to pull it off! stir

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy a brand new Leupold 2.5x8 instead of prowling around for used ones like I do now. Or maybe I'd buy a new M8-6X. Oh, what the hell. I'd buy 'em both and a 2 sets of Talley QD rings.

Just because you have enough money to buy jewel encrusted toilet paper dispensers, doesn't mean that you lack the good taste necessary to not do it.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
My personal view of the perfect hunting scope would be a Swarovski or S&B, it would have a 30mm tube, and one of the new Swaro illuminated reticules. It would weigh 16oz maximum.

Magnification would be 1.5-8 with a 50mm objective.

This scope would perfectly cover almost all reasonable hunting situations, from European driven wild boar, through woods hunting of deer, high seat for deer and boar and open ground spot and stalk.

All other current scopes are either too high at the low mag (ie 3-12x50) or too low at the high end compromising twilight performance (ie 1.5-6x42).

There it is a 1.5-8x50.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
I would buy a brand new Leupold 2.5x8 instead of prowling around for used ones like I do now. Or maybe I'd buy a new M8-6X. Oh, what the hell. I'd buy 'em both and a 2 sets of Talley QD rings.

Just because you have enough money to buy jewel encrusted toilet paper dispensers, doesn't mean that you lack the good taste necessary to not do it.

thumb

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have a standard sized action in 30-06 and want a scope built to your specs with the features you want. What would they be?

Well, that gun would likely be intended for medium-sized game out to 300 or so yards. So, let's see . . . I'd want a range of magnification appropriate for 25 yard jump shots and 300 yard sniping; I'd want the scope to be light weight and compact; I'd want it to be absolutely fog proof; I'd want it to have a wide and forgiving window of eye placement for shooting from various positions; I'd want an iron-clad gaurantee and quick service if anything happened to it . . . so I guess I'd want a Leupold 2.5-8 VX-III. Seems to be a pattern emerging here.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My personal view of the perfect hunting scope would be a Swarovski or S&B, it would have a 30mm tube, and one of the new Swaro illuminated reticules. It would weigh 16oz maximum.

"so I guess I'd want a Leupold 2.5-8 VX-III. Seems to be a pattern emerging here."

Roll Eyes

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
The VX-III 2.5-8 would be just about perfect if they would add about a half an inch to the tube length. It's a little short for optimum positioning for eye relief on long actions, IMO.

Other than that, works just fine for me.

Regards, Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With that much money, I'd let's see have beautiful topless cook,and servant. My gun bearer and guide would be beautiful women, in the interest of safety be dressed in blaze orange tissue paper. So it would be raining when we hunt. If I shot an animal,I'd be obligated to process it. Even with that much money couldn't just leave it lay. That would end a hunt. So for a scope,I'd need one that would hold up to the rain I mentioned. Opaque lens would be a must.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote