Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris Shortmags
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody have any insite as to what happened to the Burris ShortMags? I see they are no longer in the line-up. The Timberline looks like the same scope with a little more advertising written on it. Was there a problem with the Short Mags that a person should look out for ? I was wanting to put one on a Conterder Carbine. I've always liked Burris but it looks like the Madison Avenue Guys might be calling the shots. Appreciate any input, Thanks

Posts: 44 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Burris was just trying to make what seemed to be a comparable item to the still somewhat new and very popular short mag cartridges. The objectives were too small, and they had a goofy look to them on a 24" magnum contour barrel. I suspect it is the same product with more general badging now that Jaimison has tainted the image of the WSM's.
Just my thoughts.

What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bear, I think you hit it on the head. Got an E-mail from burris. The Timberline replaces the Shortmag. Upgraded optics, cosmetic changes, the ususal. I've always liked their products. I hope they don't get too deep into letting the "smoke and mirrors" people ruin the product !!!

Posts: 44 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shortmag scopes were made in the USA. Burris has opted to have the Timberline scopes made in the Phillipines at the same plant the makes the Fulfield Scopes.

I would think that the 32mm objective would affect shots in low light situations, but I don't know that for sure. The smaller scope will make for a lighter setup in the end.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote