Find
Notify
Tools

A/O difficult to adjust
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I have a Leupold 36x scope atop a bench rest rifle I bought out of an estate. The adjustable objective is very difficult to turn; it takes a real 'Big Otis' grip! When shooting different distances I can't simply twist it for adjustment. I have to put the rifle vertical between my knees and torque on it to get it to move.

There are no dents or marks that indicate it's damaged,I suspect it's old hardened lubricant in the fine threads (?). Short of shipping it back to Leupold for service, what should I do? Perhaps heat it up gently with the wife's hair dryer and then move it back and forth?

Suggestions/advise please!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I once got the ocular focus of an old Swarovski to turn by cooling the scope in front of an air conditioner, heating a damp rag in the microwave and wrapping it around the ocular housing. While that approach might work in your case, you may not shoot beside those kitchen comforts Smiler

Posts: 5014 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
send it back to leupold - their service is quick and the warranty impecable

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
send it back to leupold - their service is quick and the warranty impecable

+1. Don't mess with it and compromise the Leupold warranty, Just send it in for service. You might receive a brand new scope in return or it will be fixed to operate at current standards.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote