New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebluing Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody re-blue a steel scope tube? What's the process? Who offers this service? Approx cost?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy DIY if you use a quality cold blue, like Oxpho Blue Creme from Brownells. Gonna pay a lot of money if you really want a hot blue job. Likely cheaper to buy a new scope.

Your other option is rattle-can paint or DuraCoat type finish. Pretty easy to paint your scope. Probably some rattlecan gun finishes out there these days.

I would go with Krylon camo if you like the colors. Flat will be easier than a gloss if you DIY.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I dont think anyone even repairs the old steel tubers anymore. And in order to hot blue one, it would need to be completely disassembled first. Definitely not a cost wise endeavor. Cold blue may be the only sensible option. Even if you are trying to do a pristine, period correct project, you would still be better off just looking for another scope in good condition.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised how good a certain creme blue is compared with the old liquid touch-up ones. Were you to paint the tube you might need to go up to 26mm rings.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
new scope would be cheaper, either use it as is, cold blue or paint

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about restoring a period scope for a project there are a couple of people still doing it. Lee LaBas did mine many years ago. I think he quit but you might contact him and get a reference for someone good. I think he's he General Manager of J.P. Sauer USA now.

It was fortunate that I had it done because on disassembly he discovered one lens group had separated and needed to be re-bonded.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
If you're talking about restoring a period scope for a project there are a couple of people still doing it. Lee LaBas did mine many years ago. I think he quit but you might contact him and get a reference for someone good. I think he's he General Manager of J.P. Sauer USA now.

It was fortunate that I had it done because on disassembly he discovered one lens group had separated and needed to be re-bonded.

I contacted Lee recently about a scope that is one of three made in the Remington Custom Shop in the Middle 70s I believe. Mine is Mike Walker's personal scope. I cannot replace it. Lee said he isn't doing it now but would check on a friend and let me know. Never heard back.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If I can find the other name I'll post it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
If I can find the other name I'll post it.

Thank you.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote