New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two sided tape
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone still use two sided tape between their scope rings?

Posts: 725 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if you are referring to the same product, but I've always used Kevlar tape to line my scope ring's inner circumference, it not only protects the scope but helps prevent movement and make for a strong bond between the two surfaces. Especially helpful in heavy recoiling rifles.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
No, but I have started using the burris signature rings with the polymer inserts... It saves me from having to true the rings and doesn't leave any marks on the scope tube. I have them on a couple rifles now, I don't think I'll ever use anything else.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised there would be space inside the rings for tape, except if putting a one-inch scope into 26mm rings, say.

Beuhler used to make mounts for Weatherby rifles that had rubber inserts, though, IIRC.

I have put a shim in to get boresight without using the knobs on an old reticle-movement scope, but it bore mainly at the edges.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use black electricians tape inside the scope rings on every scope I mount that uses rings. In conjunction with a Weaver torque wrench.

I cut the tape @ 3/16"'s less than the edges of the insides of the upper & lower rings as even 20 ft.lbs. of torque on the ring screws will flatten the tape alot.

As Macs B states above it protects the scope finish when making final eye relief/recticle leveling adjustments and affords a considerable purchase when everything is tightened, too.

Does not leave indentations in the tube, doesn't scratch the scope finish and I've never had a scope move, either.

IMO double sided tape may grip too positively to make those final, critical adjsutments without scrunching it up inside the rings.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use rubber cement...the crafts kind...and put a VERY light coating on the inside of the rings and let it dry for about 45 min-1 hr. I have NEVER had an issue with slippage even with big boomers such as 500 Jeff and the such. Wipes right off if you ever want to change out the scope....

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time Burris provided two small pieces of two sided tape with their scopes. Obviously this was pre polymer inserts. I used them on a couple of scopes and I am convinced they not only provided a degree of protection for the scope, but also reduced the chances of slipping. I pulled one down after a few years and everything was so stuck that I had to use a hair dryer to get the scope loose from the rings/tape.

Posts: 725 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I've used it on my 300 Wby and its stopped all scope movement.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
I used friction paper. Address labels that sticks on envelopes work just as well.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I use Leupold QRW Rings. Lapped and torqued to 22 inch lbs. Never had a scope slip. Rifles from 416 Remington on down.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
I use black electricians tape inside the scope rings on every scope I mount that uses rings. In conjunction with a Weaver torque wrench.

I cut the tape @ 3/16"'s less than the edges of the insides of the upper & lower rings as even 20 ft.lbs. of torque on the ring screws will flatten the tape alot.

As Macs B states above it protects the scope finish when making final eye relief/recticle leveling adjustments and affords a considerable purchase when everything is tightened, too.

Does not leave indentations in the tube, doesn't scratch the scope finish and I've never had a scope move, either.

IMO double sided tape may grip too positively to make those final, critical adjsutments without scrunching it up inside the rings.

20 ft lbs? Don't you mean inch pounds

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A properly mounted scope on calibers up to and including the .375 or 416 Rem does not need any such stuff unless its a heavy foreign scope as heavy scopes have that tendency to move on firing, and some of the foreign scopes have flat metal finish that is slick and hard as hell to hold with anybodys rings...

If I need something to assist in holding a real kicker I use saddle makers rubber cement painted on the rings, it works, its cheap, and last for ever and you can peel then thin rubber off with your fingers when done with it...I have used it on a particular pair of light rifles in 505 Gibbs IMP. and a 458 Lott. and that was a "just in case" its better to be safe than sorry preventive measure and it worked. I also use it on rifles that I use in a saddle scabbard while hunting horseback, another just in case prevention...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned powered rosin yet. I've used it for years. Conforms to minor irregular surfaces, keeps scope tube away from metal rings and really sticks the scope down when the rings are tightened. No thickness problems as with tape. Probably no big deal, it's just the way I do it...

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another rec for the Burris Signature rings. Great stuff.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote