New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tripod Mounted 15x Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lots of options for good optics these days. For open country glassing what combination do you recommend high power binoculars/tripod. I have trouble with eye strain using my spotting scope. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes, 516-217-1000

We suggest, for best quality at a reasonable cost, the:
Steiner HX 15x56
or
Meopta MeoStar 15x56

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best: Swaro 15X56 SLC, also consider the 12X50 EL. The 12X EL's are pretty amazing.

Ever so slightly not the best: Meopta 15X56 B1 Meostar. Check Cabelas for their branded ones in HD, I've seen them for very good prices in the bargain cave.

Really good: Leupold Santiam, Minox BL, and Optolyth Royal.

I've not looked through the Vortex, Steiner, Zeiss or Nikon options.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No advice on which binocular to pick, but you're on the right track looking at a tripod mounted binocular instead of a spotting scope. Using two eyes, even at lower magnification, has a lot of advantages, particularly when you will be peering through the instrument for long periods of time.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the German made Minox 15x56 on a tripod. They are much better than the Vortex Kaibab in my opinion. I was a Meopta dealer for several years and they are good glass also. I keep my 15's mounted to the tripod and in my daypack in the rifle compartment so I can access them quickly and I use them a lot. There are still times I need a more powerful optic and use a small spotter as well when judging deer at long distances.

When weight is an issue (and it often is) I will take a smaller tripod or even a monopod for my 15x's. It is amazing at how much more game I find when my optics are rock steady.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I can't say how they compare with the other brands listed but I've had a pair of Pentax 15x binoculars for quite awhile and I'm pretty satisfied with them.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tripod mounting your optics will greatly improve your success in glassing

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote