Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dovetail mount help?
 Login/Join

posted
Ok, I bought a leupold std mount and ring set. One of the rings has a dovetail on it and Ive never used one of these. I figured you stuck this dovetail in the mount and turned it to make it fit but it doesn't seem to want to turn. Could anyone help me out with this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't use the scope to turn the dovetail in initially. Use a broom stick handle or wooden dowel rod to turn the ring into the base. They are very tight initially. Align it up and then intall the scope.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apply a tiny bit of white grease to the dovetail on the bottom of the ring and turn it in with anything other than your scope...........

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like grease, but ask Leupold, with a piece of dowel or whatever it will turn in for ya though.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use S.T.O.S. grease, sold at the local gun shop. S.T.O.S. stands for,.... oh well, I'll let you struggle with that one. jumping

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
All the above is all great advise.

Just my way....but not most. The rings in the pictures are Leupold QR but the steps that I use to align my rings and lap stay the same with dovetail ring sets.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gfeller.....New rings are usually rather rough and crude. Lightly stone the sharp edges of the ring with an Arkansas oilstone. Then apply a little Imperial Sizing Die Wax to the bearing surface of the ring, and base. The ring will twist in smoothly with no galling. Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they are supposed to be tight and kind of grind their way in. You are not supposed to remove them from the bases after you install them I dont know why they just don't come installed in the bases anyway.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote